Nigerian news All categories All tags
Multiple Bomb Attacks Claims 100 Lives In Maiduguri

Multiple Bomb Attacks Claims 100 Lives In Maiduguri

Following the Boko Haram coordinated multiple explosions in the morning of March 7, 2015, Saturday reports say the death toll has risen as high as 100 lives with scores still recuperating at various hospitals for treatment.

Initially it was reported that least 58 people lost their lives, over 140 sustained various injuries in the worst attack on the capital of Borno state, Maiduguri, since the beginning of the year.

At the same time, local police sources informed NAN that 58 people were killed, 139 injured in the attacks across the city. One of the explosive devices was detonated by a suicide bomber riding in a Keke Napep. But the Vanguard now reports that sources and hospital mortuary attendance, yesterday, revealed that more than hundred people were confirmed dead, as over 50 people, including the female suicide bomber, were killed in the fish market which was the first target of the attacks.

Numerous sources told the Daily that the increase in the number of deaths was due to injured people who were not able to survive the explosions. 

A source at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital revealed that most of the injured ones brought to the hospital with serious injuries did not survive as they died while receiving treatment yesterday morning.

Also at the Umaru Shehu Hospital in Bulumkutu ward of the metropolis, no fewer than seven people died while receiving treatment.

At the State Specialists Hospital, a source claimed that more than 20 dead bodies were brought in from the Monday market attack, while scores of the injured died as a result of excessive bleeding yesterday.

With the various numbers given by these sources, the death toll is sure to be more than one hundred. 

The explosion, which occurred at a crowded commercial area in Maiduguri, went off at around 11:44.

Witnesses said many people were affected. Residents told to various news agencies that the suicide bomber, probably a teenage boy aged about 16, tried to enter Baga fish market.

The area is the biggest fish outlet in Northeast Nigeria where buyers and traders from across Nigeria and communities along the shores of the Lake Chad converge.

READ ALSO: Military Confirms: More Territories Recaptured From Boko Haram

In the second explosion, which looked as a twin one, the blasts hit an area known as the Monday market, located in the heart of the state capital, at about 12:30.

The BBC reported two female suicide bombers were behind the explosions.

The third blast might have been a car bomb that exploded by a bus station near a Department of State Security (DSS) office at 12:52. The Express Bus Terminus is located along Damaturu road in Maiduguri.

However, the BBC reported that several witnesses believed that was a twin explosion as well.

Aliyu Musa, a resident in the area near the DSS office was quoted as saying: "Men from the anti-bomb squad came a few minutes after the blast to comb the scene, then they started evacuating victims. I saw five mangled bodies being put in vehicles."

The local authorities assured normalcy had been restored in the affected areas.

It will be recalled that the military warned that Boko Haram insurgents are set to carry out more suicide bombing attacks in their bid to regain territories the military have taken from them.

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel