- Two people have died following a gas explosion at the Conference Hotel Abeokuta
- The hotel is owned by a former governor of Ogun state, Otunba Gbenga Daniel
- The hotel is also close to the famous presidential library owned by a former Nigerian president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo
A gas explosion on Tuesday, May 18 rocked the Conference Hotel on Presidential Boulevard, Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital, killing a technician and another yet-to-be-identified person.
The Nation newspaper reports that the explosion, which occurred around noontime, left three others with varying degrees of injuries.
The hotel sited opposite the sprawling Obasanjo Presidential Library, is owned by former Ogun state governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel.
According to the report, the injured are receiving treatment in a hospital.
The Punch newspaper, however, reports that the incident is coming less than a week after an earlier gas explosion in the state capital.
It said the injured were taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta, while the remains of the dead were deposited at the general hospital morgue in Abeokuta.
A gas explosion has become a very tragic accident in Nigeria that when it happens, many families mourn.
According to Research Gate, most gas explosions happen as a result of the lack of gas detector instrument in homes and gas plant stations. Even when they are there, it is not properly maintained to be able to detect a gas leak.
It was also discovered that most people in the business don't have the expert knowledge on ways to handle gas, and household users equally use gas with lackadaisical attitudes and poor maintenance culture.
Furthermore, state governments were accused of not sticking to the master plan of their respective states and that is why people construct gas plant stations just about anywhere they find space.
The incident which took place at Iyasoko street Agboju, Amuwo-Odofin by 7 pm was confirmed by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).
Late last year, five persons were confirmed dead in an early morning gas explosion at Baruwa Ipaja, a suburb in Lagos.
The incident which was also confirmed by LASEMA, occurred around 6 am, throwing residents into panic mode.