- There should not be any celebration where people will gather this Sallah, according to the FG
- This is due to the rampaging coronavirus cases which are spiking in some countries
- Meanwhile, the government said all recreational venues, gyms and indoor sports facilities are to close until June 11
Following the emergence of the deadly COVID-19 strains in India, South Africa, Turkey and Brazil, the Nigerian government has taken steps to reduce the exposure of its citizens.
With this, the government reintroduced some measures which were put in place during the second wave of COVID-19 in Nigeria, Punch reports.
Specifically, the government restricted gatherings at worship centres and banned night clubs, concerts, carnivals and street parties which are ubiquitous during Sallah celebrations.
Going further, the federal government said all political gatherings are to strictly adhere to COVID-19 guidelines issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission.
This was disclosed by the national incident manager of the presidential steering committee on COVID-19, Mukhtar Mohammed, BBC added.
“All informal and formal festivity events including weddings, conferences, congresses, office parties, seminars, end of year events involving more than 50 persons are no longer allowed.
“Concerts, carnivals and street parties are banned until further notice."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that apparently disturbed by the resurgence of the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government announced the reinstatement of all extant control measures aimed at mitigating the impact of the deadly scourge.
The Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19 reimposed the nationwide curfew earlier put in place to control the spread of the virus.
Legit.ng gathered that the committee also limited gatherings especially in enclosed spaces to a maximum of 50 persons, urging state governments to inaugurate mobile courts to try offenders.
Legit.ng had previously reported that despite the efforts by the federal government to vaccinate Nigerians against the COVID-19 disease, Bishop David Oyedepo said he would not take the vaccine.
It was reported that the cleric who presides over the Living Faith Church Worldwide, also known as Winners’ Chapel, said he is not a guinea pig.
The religious leader made the statement on Saturday, April 17, during the church’s covenant hour of prayer programme.