- Nigeria's security challenges have continued to worsen as Boko Haram insurgents and other criminals launch deadly attacks
- The crisis has caused a scare among federal lawmakers following a security alert on the possible attack of the National Assembly complex by the insurgents
- One southwest lawmaker who spoke anonymously said he would henceforth limit his presence at the National Assembly
Nigerian federal lawmakers are in a panic mode after being notified of a possible attack by Boko Haram insurgents on the National Assembly complex and other public buildings in Abuja, a report by The Punch stated.
The newspaper stated that several members of the House of Representatives confirmed on Wednesday, May 5, that they had been notified of the imminent attack by the terrorist group.
One of them, a southwest lawmaker whose name was withheld, said his presence would henceforth be limited on the premises.
“That is the security alert I saw today. I’m already moving out of here. I’ll only be around when there is a major reason to do so. Nowhere is safe in the country anymore."
It was also gathered that the notice on the impending attack has been made available to the principal officers and all members of the House.
The ‘security alert’, dated May 4, 2021, was allegedly issued by the chairman of the House Committee on Internal Security, National Assembly, Usman Shiddi.
Shiddi reportedly indicated in the security notice that it was obtained from the Intelligence Bureau of the Nigeria Police Force in the National Assembly complex.
The security alert read in part:
“The report indicates planned insurgent attacks by some elements of Boko Haram on some VIP locations, government facilities and assets in Abuja, including the National Assembly complex.
“In view of the above intelligence, I have considered it paramount to advise that all members should, henceforth, use the presidential gate for ingress and egress."
Shiddi explained that the move was to avoid the unforeseen congestions that are sometimes encountered at the main gates which could easily be the targets for these insurgents.
He added that security agencies are also taking proactive steps to unravel and to contain the alleged planned attack.
It was gathered that security has been beefed up at the complex, with soldiers, policemen, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Federal Road Safety Corps manning the gates.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian police had earlier debunked the reports that the Federal Capital Territory was under attack by Boko Haram insurgents.
The FCT police command, in a statement by its spokesperson, Mariam Yusuf, described the reports as fake, saying they were targeted at creating tension amongst the well-spirited residents.
The statement, shared on the NPF FCT Command Twitter handle @policeng_fct, on Sunday, May 2, gave the assurance that residents were safe.