- Kaduna state government has announced the release of five out 39 abducted students of Kaduna state
- The students were abducted on Friday, March 12
- Samuel Aruwan, the state commissioner of internal security and home affairs, made this known on Monday, April 5
A report by Channels TV indicates that five of the 39 students abducted by bandits from the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka in Kaduna state have regained freedom.
Legit.ng gathered that the five students returned on the evening of Monday, April 5 and were taken to a military medical facility for examination in the state.
This was disclosed by the state commissioner of internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan, hours after the release of the children.
The bandits abducted the students when they attacked their school on Friday, March 12.
Breaking: Parents of abducted Kaduna students defy El-Rufai, say they are ready to negotiate with bandits
The Nation also reports that Aruwan said the Nigerian military informed the state government that five of the many kidnapped students have been recovered.
“The Nigerian military has informed the Kaduna State government that five of the many kidnapped students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Kaduna were recovered this afternoon and are presently in a military facility where they are undergoing a thorough medical check-up.
“The Kaduna state government will provide updates on further operational feedback to be received on this case.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that parents of the abducted Kaduna students said they are ready to negotiate with bandits to secure the release of their children.
It was reported that the parents made their position known during a press briefing on Monday, April 5.
The parents said they can no longer sit and do nothing as their children remain in the den of the bandits weeks after their abduction.
Sam Kambai, who spoke on behalf of the parents, said they would “do everything within our power” to secure the release of the students.
They also accused the state government of abandoning them to their fate.
Nasir El-Rufai, the governor of the state, had said bandits and kidnappers were attacking the state because of his government’s position not to negotiate with the criminals and give them money.
He insisted that the state government would not change its stand on the issue, arguing that it was uncivilised to negotiate with criminals.
El-Rufai said that those who consider the option of negotiating with bandits are irrational and emotional.