- Federal High Court in Abuja has entertained a suit challenging the extension of Mohammed Adamu's tenure as IGP
- The trial judge disclosed why the experte motion filed by the plaintiff cannot be granted
- However, the verdict is not the final determination of the suit
A legal action seeking to restrain Mohammed Adamu from parading himself as the Inspector General of Police (IGP) has been dismissed by the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Vanguard reported that the ruling was issued by Justice Ahmed Mohammed on Tuesday, February 16, in respect to an exparte motion numbered, FHC/ABJ/CS/106/21, filed by Maxwell Opara, a legal practitioner.
The publication stated that the litigant argued that the case was filed pursuant to section 215, 216 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), section 7 of the Nigeria Police Act 2020, and provision of the court.
The plaintiff through his lawyer, Ugochukwu Ezekiel, had sued President Mohammadu Buhari, Mohammed Adamu, the attorney general of the federation, and the ministry of justice as 1st to 4th defendants respectively.
However, Justice Mohammed held that since all the defendants had already been served with the originating process in the suit, it would be unfair to grant the exparte motion when the defence had within 30 days to respond to the main suit.
The judge said such an order would be contrary to the provision of the law.
“The prayer one is hereby refuse."
Mohammed said prayer two of the plaintiff shall be a notice to the defendants. He then adjourned the matter until February 24 for a continuation of hearing.
Meanwhile, in an attempt to curb the rising cases of kidnapping, the minister of police affairs, Muhammad Dingyadi said the federal government will install Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras on all major highways across Nigeria.
Dingyadi made the disclosure while speaking on Channels Television breakfast show, Sunrise Daily, on Tuesday, February 16.
According to the minister, President Muhammadu Buhari resuscitated the abandoned N470 billion CCTV project.
In another news President Buhari has pledged that his government would continue to provide employments for Nigerians.
According to the minister of special duties and inter-government affairs, George Akume, 40 officers would be recruited in each local government of the country. Akume made the disclosure on Monday, February 15, in Abuja
Kess Ewubare is a senior political/current affairs correspondent at Legit.ng. He has both a BSc and a Master’s degree in mass communication. He has over 10 years of experience in working in several fields of mass communication including radio, TV, newspaper, and online. For Kess, journalism is more than a career, it is a beautiful way of life.