- Cristiano Ronaldo was substituted during Juventus 2-1 win over Inter Milan in the CoppaItalia semis
-The 35-year-old was not happy with Andrea Pirlo's decision for taking him off in the 77th minute for Alvaro Morata
- Pirlo defended his decision to sub off the Portugal international claiming it was not in his contract to take him off
Cristiano Ronaldo could have become the world's leading goalscorer following his brace against Inter Milan in the Coppa Italia semi-finals, Goal.
The Portuguese star was substituted by Juventus boss Andrea Pirlo, something Ronaldo is not used to all through his illustrious career.
The 35-year-old was shocked with the decision made by the Italian to take him off for Alvaro Morata when the score was at 2-1.
Inter had taken the lead through Lautaro Martinez into ninth minute and Ronaldo did not make an impact in the game up until the Biaconeri won a penalty as he converted the spot-kick to draw his side level in the 26th minute.
The Portuguese then completed his brace in the 35th minute but the Nerazzurri clawed their way back into the game and Juve had to restrategize.
Pirlo made the substitution with 13 minutes left to play which Ronaldo's expression showed that he was not happy about it.
However, Juve boss Pirlo has defended his tactical decision to sub off his best player against Inter whom they had lost to in a Serie A fixture.
Pirlo was quoted by Goal:
“It’s normal that when you go out in a match like this you want to play to help the team.
“There is no contract clause that says he can't be subbed off. He knows he is a fundamental player for us but to get his breath back, he must always be at the top.
Nigerian star scores in 5th consecutive game as he hands Pochettino his first defeat at PSG (see goal)
“He proved it with his performances after some criticism. He couldn’t have done better than that.
"I said [to him] that he had to rest, we have an important match on Saturday. He has played many consecutive games, every now and then a little rest is good for him.”
Juventus will take a one-goal advantage into the second leg in Turin as the Old Lady will be looking to get a result to make it through into the finals.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo fired Juventus to a 2-1 victory over Inter Milan in the first leg of their Coppa Italia clash.
The superstar who clocks 36 in two days' time grabbed his first from the spot in the 26th minute while his second came as a gift after a communication breakdown between Samir Handanovic and one of his defenders.
This, however, puts the Old Lady at an advantage to progress to the next round as they hold a two away goals lead ahead of the second leg scheduled for Tuesday, February 9.