Amid COVID-19, NCDC confirms new infectious disease in this state, 20 deaths recorded out of 200 cases

Amid COVID-19, NCDC confirms new infectious disease in this state, 20 deaths recorded out of 200 cases

- As Nigeria struggles to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, an outbreak of cholera has been confirmed in Benue

- According to the NCDC, 200 cases have been confirmed with 20 deaths recorded

- Benue deputy governor, however, said the mortality rate has been kept under control after others infected were treated

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reportedly confirmed at least 200 cases of cholera across four local government areas in Benue state.

According to Daily Sun, the leader of the NCDC's National Rapid Response team in Benue state, Ikechukwu Oradu, disclosed this during a visit to the deputy governor, Benson Abounu, at the Government House, in Makurdi on Tuesday, January 26.

Legit.ng gathers that 20 persons were reported to have died from the outbreak of the disease in Guma, Agatu, Gwer-West and Makurdi local government areas of the state.

Read also

COVID-19: House of Assembly shuts down as lawmakers, workers test positive

Amid COVID-19, NCDC confirms cholera outbreak in Benue state, 20 deaths recorded out of 200 cases
The director-general of the NCDC, Chikwe Ihekeazu, during a briefing by the presidential task force on COVID-19. Photo credit: @NCDCgov
Source: Twitter

Oradu was reported to have said the deaths and cases occurred in the last few weeks, adding that findings revealed the affected communities lacked potable water.

He enjoined the state government to consider drilling boreholes and public toilets in the affected communities to stop open defecation.

The NCDC official also called for the provision of rapid diagnostic kits for testing of cholera in the state.

The deputy governor said those affected had been treated, adding that the mortality rate has been stopped from escalating.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, amid news of the COVID-19 status of some members of the Anambra state House of Assembly, the complex was on Wednesday, January 27, shut down.

The assembly will remain closed for three weeks after some lawmakers and workers tested positive for COVID-19.

Read also

Coronavirus: Fear as Governor Ortom's COVID-19 test result returns positive

The cases were confirmed after the state COVID-19 team conducted compulsory tests as a precaution following the spike in the number of infections in Anambra state.

In other news, the federal government has directed all the civil service workers on grade level 12 and below to continue working from home.

The directive was given on Tuesday, January 26, in a circular by Folashade Esan, head of civil service.

The circular was addressed to the offices of the chief of staff to the president, clerk of the national assembly, permanent secretaries.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel