Coronavirus: Fear as Governor Ortom's COVID-19 test result returns positive

Coronavirus: Fear as Governor Ortom's COVID-19 test result returns positive

- After negative results a number of times, Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state has now tested positive for COVID-19

- The news was broken on Wednesday, January 27, by his media aide, Terver Akase

- Ortom, however, enjoined the people of the state to follow the COVID-19 protocols religiously

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

There was palpable fear in Benue state as the latest result of Governor Samuel Ortom's COVID-19 test came back positive.

Legit.ng reports that this followed the test results of most of the governor's close aides who also returned positive in the last few weeks.

The chief press secretary to the governor, Terver Akase, in a statement he issued on Wednesday, January 23, said although his principal has not shown any symptoms of the disease, he has already commenced treatment as prescribed by medical personnel.

Coronavirus: Fear as Governor Ortom's COVID-19 test result returns positive
Governor Samuel Ortom urged residents of Benue state to adhere strictly to COVID-19 protocols. Credit: @GovSamuelOrtom
Source: Twitter

Those who have come in contact with the governor in the last couple of days have been advised to go for a test.

Read also

NCDC finally speaks on resumption of students, makes clarification

Governor Ortom also said that it is equally important that those who came in contact with other persons who have tested positive for the virus should go for a test to ascertain their COVID-19 status.

He urged Benue people to continue to observe the protocol for the prevention of the virus such as wearing of face masks, use of sanitizers, regular hand washing and physical distancing.

The governor, therefore, encouraged the people not to be afraid of going for COVID-19 test as only doing so would help in containing the spread of the disease.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that amid the scare of the second wave of COVID-19, the federal government directed all the civil workers on grade level 12 and below to continue working from home.

It was reported that the directive was given on Tuesday, January 26, in a circular by Folashade Esan, head of civil service.

Read also

Breaking: Nigerian state orders civil servants to stay home, announces fresh ban

The circular was addressed to the offices of the chief of staff to the president, clerk of the national assembly, permanent secretaries.

The development came in hours after the presidential task force on COVID-19 extended the third phase of the eased lockdown by one month.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In a related report, the federal government warned that it would shut down the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp in the states that fail to comply with all COVID-19 protocols.

The minister of youths and sports development, Sunday Dare, gave the warning during the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, on Monday, January 25.

Dare said the NYSC would not allow youths to be endangered, adding that those already deployed to any state affected would be redeployed to other places.

COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV

Read also

COVID-19: FG says there may be second lockdown, warns Nigerians

Source: Legit

Online view pixel