- The PTF on COVID-19 has warned Nigerians against forcing the FG to impose another lockdown in the country
- Boss Mustapha, the chairman of PTF, gave the warning on Monday, January 18, in Abuja
- Mustapha, however, said that the government's decision would be based on people's compliance
The federal government has urged Nigerians to do everything possible to avoid the second lockdown in Nigeria.
Punch reports that this plea was made on Monday, January 18, by the chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, at a press briefing in Abuja, the nation's capital.
Legit.ng gathered that Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said this can be done by complying with the protocols released by the government.
Mustapha said the government was making progress with the case management under the national response which continues to receive the support of the private sector in the delivery of medical oxygen to the various facilities.
“Let me remind you that the pandemic is raging and all tiers of Government and citizens must keep their hands-on-deck.
“We are in a difficult situation in which a balance must continue to be struck between lives and livelihood. We are considering all options while hoping that broad cooperation will be received. We must do everything possible to avoid the second lockdown in Nigeria.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the reopening of schools slated for Monday, January 18, is generating hiccups as the House of Representatives faulted the decision, citing a surge in COVID-19 cases.
It was reported that while reacting to the January 18 directive in a statement, Julius Ihonvbere, chairman of the House committee on basic education, said the reopening will pose a threat to the fight against the second wave of COVID-19.
Ihonvbere said the legislative arm was not reached before the federal government arrived at the decision, adding that the resumption date should be postponed by three months.
He also lamented that there are no "verifiable and sustainable arrangements to protect and secure" the students during the pandemic.
In another report, with students across the country resuming back to classes on Monday, January 18, (except in cases of a few states like Kaduna), the federal government issued some safety protocols towards stemming the tide of the scary second wave of COVID-19 infection.
The safety protocols were issued on Monday by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in consultation with the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and the federal ministry of education.
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV
Source: Legit Nigeria