Seven Nigerian EndSARS protesters in Egypt risk deportation for lack of resident permit, says NIDCOM

Seven Nigerian EndSARS protesters in Egypt risk deportation for lack of resident permit, says NIDCOM

- NIDCOM has said that seven Nigerians may be deported by the Egyptian government

- According to the report, they were among those who protested over SARS without a resident permit in Egypt and were arrested

- NIDCOM boss, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, dismissed earlier reports that the federal government had a hand in their arrest

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

For not having resident permits and visas, the Egyptian authorities will be deporting seven Nigerians who participated in EndSARS protests in the country.

The Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) in a series of tweets on the evening of Monday, November 2, confirmed this development.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairman of the NIDCOM, stated that the only Nigerian among them who has a permit would get final clearance from the Egyptian interior minister, Mahmoud Tawfik.

This will happen after an undertaking has been signed by the Nigerian to stay away from my activity that has not been authorised by the authorities while still in the country.

Read also

Just in: FG speaks on alleged compilation of ‘no-fly list’ for #ENDSARS protesters

Seven Nigerian EndSARS protesters in Egypt risk deportation for lack of resident permit, says NIDCOm
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairman of the NIDCOM, addressing the stakeholders in Abuja. Credit: Twitter/NIDCOM.
Source: Twitter

According to the NIDCOM boss, the Nigerian mission in Egypt is still begging on behalf of the seven Nigerians who are facing deportation.

She also dismissed earlier speculations that the federal government had a hand in their arrest.

Dabiri-Erewa went on to advise Nigerians abroad to remain good ambassadors of the country by obeying the laws of their respective host nations.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari appealed to youths in Nigeria to end street protests and get involved in negotiations aimed at ending police brutality in the country.

It was reported that Buhari made the appeal on Sunday, November 1, at an event to mark the maiden national youth day celebration.

The president stated that he abolished the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) because of his beliefs in the people’s constitutional rights.

Read also

EndSARS: Group protests at police headquarters in Abuja (photo)

He urged the youths to welcome discussions and appealed to them not to be afraid to come forward to negotiate.

In another report, the federal government evacuated another 68 Nigerian ladies stranded in Lebanon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The NIDCOM said the evacuees arrived Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Sunday, August 16.

What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit Nigeria

Online view pixel