- The Nigerian governors said they have resolved to meet all the demands of #EndSARS protesters
- Governor Fayemi who is the chairman of the governors forum, therefore, appealed to the protesters to suspend the protest
- The governors also condemned the attack on their colleague, Governor Oyetola of Osun state, by some hoodlums while addressing #EndSARS protesters
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
The Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) has said it would address the demands of Nigerian youth protesting police brutality and harassment across the country.
Thousands of Nigerian youths have been on the streets demanding an end to police brutality and disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The federal government has since disbanded SARS and replaced it with a new police unit.
The #EndSARS protesters have, however, not left the streets as they continue to call for practical solutions from the government.
In a statement released on Monday, October 19, the chairman of the NGF, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti state, said all the demands of the protesters will be met.
Below is a list of resolutions reached by the governors, according to the statement:
1. Set up a Judicial Panel of Enquiry to receive all cases of police brutality by officers of the disbanded SARS unit.
2. Kickstart a compensation mechanism for all victims
3. Endorse the call by the #EndSARS protesters for improved governance with a focus on fundamental human rights and liberties of all citizens
4. Act on all the demands made by the EndSARS protesters but raised some concerns with the shifting nature of the demands
5. Appeal for the call off of protests as a continuation adversely affects the economy and may cause chaos due to infiltration by hoodlums
The governors also condemned the attack on Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of Osun state by armed persons while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.
My experience as son of ex-policeman - Nigerian governor speaks on #EndSARS protest, proffers solutions
Earlier, Legit.ng reported the leadership of the National Assembly appealed to the Nigerian youths to suspend the ongoing nationwide #EndSARS protests.
The president of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, made the appeal on Sunday, October 18, after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV