- The NLC and TUC have explained why they shelved the planned nationwide strike
- The organised labour had planned to embark on the strike following the FG's increment of the price of petrol and electricity tariffs
- A communique issued by the labour leaders indicated that the FG has agreed to take some steps to cushion the effects of the price increments
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
In the early hours of Monday, September 28, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) suspended the planned nationwide strike to the relief of the Nigerian government.
The labour groups had planned to embark on the strike to force the federal government to reduce the recently increased price of petrol and electricity tariffs.
Some Nigerians who had been expecting the strike to commence on Monday were disappointed when the labour unions announced the suspension.
Both NLC and TUC have issued a communique explaining why the strike was suspended.
According to the communique published by The Nation, the strike was suspended after the organised labour and the federal government reached some agreements.
Legit.ng gathers that one of the agreements include readiness of the federal government to distribute palliatives which would ameliorate the sufferings of Nigerian workers.
The palliatives, according to the labour leaders, will be in the areas of transport, power, housing, agriculture and humanitarian support.
It was also agreed that an inclusive committee would be set up to examine the justifications for the policies that led to an increase in the price of petrol and electricity tariffs.
The federal government also agreed with the organised labour on the need to increase the local refining capacity of the nation to reduce the dependence on the importation of petroleum products.
The Nigerian government assured the labour leaders that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) will expedite the rehabilitation of the nation’s refineries.
The government also agreed to facilitate the delivery of licensed modular and regular refineries.
To cushion the effects of the increase in the petrol price in the meantime, the federal government said it will make available a specific amount yet to be disclosed in two weeks’ time which will be accessed by Nigerian workers for participation in agricultural ventures through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Ministry of Agriculture.
The Nigerian government also agreed to facilitate the removal of tax on minimum wage.
In addition, 133 CNG/LPG driven mass transit buses will be given to organised labour immediately and will be deployed to the major cities across the country.
The government also agreed to allocate 10% housing to the Nigerian workers under the ongoing Ministry of Housing and Finance initiative.
The communique was signed on behalf of the organised labour by the NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, TUC president Quadri Olaleye, and other principal leaders.
Breaking: Gbajabiamila's move to stop NLC strike fails, body issues new update over fuel, electricity hike must continue
What Nigerians are saying about the suspension of the strike
Following the announcement of the suspension of the strike, Nigerians have been airing their views about the development on social media.
Onye Nkuzi, a Twitter user, claimed:
"NLC is a branch of APC. Anyone who believed they would "go on strike" must either be naive or ignorant."
Dr PamPam tweeted:
"NOT BREAKING NEWS: NLC suspends strike!!!
"The strike wasn’t going to happen in the first place"
Captain Barbossa tweeted:
"So, a question for the TL.
"NLC and it's cousin TUC said they suspended strike because government has "paused" tariff hike by 2weeks: so una wey buy units today, how far? Na the old rate? Abi same ol' same ol'..?"
Dr. Ayo Adeyemi tweeted:
"I knew from the onset that the yeye NLC was playing to the gallery. NLC dued long ago right from the days of Pascal Bafyau. The headlines suppose to reads "NLC suspends strike after FG settlement. How can the same FG that took them to court now arranged meeting with them at 7pm
Meanwhile, the TUC has threatened to resume the suspended strike if the federal government fails to follow through with the agreements reached at the end of their joint meeting.
The president of the TUC, Olaleye, disclosed this on Monday, September 28.
He said that the union will not hesitate to resort to strike if the FG fails to fulfil its end of the resolution.
Civil societies kick, plan mass action against fuel price hike | Legit TV