- WAEC has conducted the first examinations in Chibok after six years of the abduction of schoolgirls
- More than 200 Chibok girls were abducted by insurgents in 2014
- Some of the abducted schoolgirls have been rescued while others are still in captivity of their abductors
After six years of the abduction of more than 200 students of the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), finally conducted first exams.
TheCable reports that the secondary schools in Chibok, Borno state, were allowed to participate in the ongoing WASSCE.
Legit.ng gathered that the acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 division, Nigerian Army, Abdul-Khalifa Ibrahim, disclosed this while receiving members of the Education in Emergency Working Group (EiEWG) Nigeria, on Thursday, September 10, in Maiduguri, the Borno capital.
Recall that schools in Chibok were shut down in 2014 after Boko Haram insurgents abducted more than 200 schoolgirls.
It would be noted that while the federal government has secured the release of some of the girls, a few others are still in the custody of the insurgents.
Ibrahim, who doubles as the commander, sector 1, operation Lafiya Dole, was represented by Ifeanyi Otu, chief of staff of the division.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that he noted the negative impact of the insurgency on education in the north-east, adding that the situation has been brought under control.
“It will be gladdening to note that for the first time in the past six years, WAEC successfully held WASSCE in Chibok with the military providing security.
“We are all witnesses to what happened in the recent past like the abduction of the Chibok girls, the slaughtering of students at Buni Yadi and abduction of students at Dapchi. These are all that happened and we have turned around that narrative.
“Let me equally say that the chief of army staff has been making deliberate efforts through the education corps to post teachers to all schools within the north-east states.
“We are really doing enough to ensure that education is resuscitated and as we all know, education is one thing that liberates the individual and liberates the minds. In the first place, this conflict would not have thrived if not that there was a high illiteracy rate in this zone," he said.
Speaking during the visit, the leader of the EiEWG delegation and director of education, ministry of defence, Afolake Taiwo, said the group’s visit was to commend the army for its efforts in promoting education in the region.
“We are passionate about making sure that our education is not under attack and this is actually coming from the Safe School Declaration (SSD) that was signed by the president,” she said.
The (EiEWG) Nigeria brings together non-governmental organisations, United Nations (UN) agencies, academics, and other partners, whose efforts are focused on ensuring access to quality education for persons affected by humanitarian crises.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Korongilum community in Chibok local government area of Borno state was attacked by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.
It was reported that the insurgents came into the community around 6 pm, shooting sporadically and setting many houses on fire.
A resident of the community who was quoted in the report said locals were just returning from their farms when the attack happened.
Buhari inducts combat helicopters to fight insurgency, says he won’t fail Nigerians | - on Legit TV