Coronavirus: South Africa to close schools again as Covid-19 rises

Coronavirus: South Africa to close schools again as Covid-19 rises

- Schools in South Africa are reportedly set to close down again as the cases of Covid-19 in the country rise

- President Ramaphosa has allegedly announced the closure of public schools for four weeks

- The total number of Covid-19 cases in the country has risen to 408,052, the world’s fifth-highest

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

As Covid-19 cases rise continuously in South Africa, President Cyril Ramaphosa is reportedly set to announce the closure of schools again.

Bloomberg reports, citing anonymous sources, that the South African president may announce the decision in a televised addressed at 8pm in Pretoria on Thursday, July 23.

The Southern African country had closed its schools in March. Since the schools were re-opened on June 1, members of the public have been urging the government to close them again.

South Africa to Close Schools Again as Covid Infections Surge

South Africa to Close Schools Again as Covid Infections Surge. Presidency, South Africa
Source: Twitter

Legit.ng gathers that the number of confirmed coronavirus infections in South Africa doubled over the past 17 days to surpass 400,000.

Coronavirus: Traders reveal hike in cost of food items as Easter beckons

Over 13,000 cases were reported for a second consecutive day on Thursday, bringing the cumulative total to 408,052, the world’s fifth-highest.

The government has forecast that the country is expected to reach its peak-infection rate in the coming weeks.

In another version of the report by Mail and Guardian, President Ramaphosa has allegedly announced the closure of public schools for four weeks.

The president said schools would close from July 27 and reopen on August 24.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Oyo state government had announced the cancellation of third term calendar for students in all primary and secondary schools in the state due to Covid-19 crisis.

Governor Seyi Makinde announced the decision on Tuesday, July 20, as contained in a statement by the state commissioner for education, Olasunkanmi Olaleye.

Coronavirus: Engaging activities you can do to avoid boredom following the stay at home order

Olaleye said the decision was reached during the state executive council meeting at the government house in Ibadan on Tuesday, adding that the 2020/21 academic session will begin on September 21 and end on July 30, 2021.

“According to the approved calendar, Third Term 2019/2020 session has been cancelled and promotion of students, for all affected classes, will now be determined by First and Second Term Continuous Assessment.

“Pry 6, JSS 3 and SSS 3 will proceed on holiday from 30th of July and resume for their Examination as follows; “Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE)- 10th to 18th August 2020. Competitive Entrance Examination into the Schools of Science- 19th August 2020," Olaleye said.

COVID-19: Parents speak on allowing their children return to school | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel