Coronavirus: Resume work now or lose your job - Akwa Ibom govt threatens striking health workers

Coronavirus: Resume work now or lose your job - Akwa Ibom govt threatens striking health workers

- Akwa Ibom government has warned the striking health workers in the state to resume work

- Charles Udoh, the commissioner for information, said the strike action by the Joint Health Workers Union (JOHESU) was ill-conceived

- Udoh described JOHESU’s demand for payment of 50% of basic salaries as hazard allowance in the prevailing harsh economic climate as unreasonable

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Akwa Ibom state government has ordered striking health professionals to resume work immediately or risk sack.

The Nation reports that a statement by the commissioner for information, Charles Udoh, on Wednesday, July 15, said the strike action by the Joint Health Workers Union (JOHESU) was ill-conceived.

Legit.ng gathered that Udoh described as ‘unreasonable’ JOHESU’s demand for payment of 50% of basic salaries as hazard allowance in the prevailing harsh economic climate.

Read also

Coronavirus: Engaging activities you can do to avoid boredom following the stay at home order

“This is in spite of concerted efforts by the government to provide the best of working conditions for health workers in the state, including up to date payment of all due salaries and allowances, which makes our state one of the best paying states in the health sector.

Coronavirus: Resume work now or lose your job - A’Ibom threatens striking health workers
The governor of Akwa Ibom state, Emmanuel Udom. Credit: Twitter/Governor Udom.
Source: Facebook

“The efforts of the state government in this regard has continued to receive widespread commendations from various healthcare stakeholders in the country.

“Against this backdrop, the government is constrained to state that it is unreasonable and also unlawful for healthcare professionals to embark on any form of strike action during the period of Coronavirus pandemic.

“Therefore, a full compliment of related healthcare professionals are expected at their duty posts unfailingly, as required by the terms and conditions of their employment.

“Any staff not found on duty will be considered to be no longer interested in the job and will be relieved of such duty with immediate effect. The relevant health authorities have been mandated to conduct headcount,” he said.

Read also

Minimum wage: FG, labour unions to meet Monday, September 16

The government stated that it has made adequate arrangements to ensure that those interested in performing their lawful duties are allowed to do so without disruption or molestation of any sort.

"Anyone found obstructing or disrupting healthcare operations anywhere in the state, under the pretext of industrial action, will be apprehended and prosecuted.

“It is criminal for anyone to obstruct health care workers from performing their legitimate duties in this period of emergency.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

“Government is aware that the ill-conceived industrial action and blatant act of sabotage by JOHESU is sponsored by political detractors with an underlying intent to vandalize healthcare facilities in the state,” Udoh further said.

The government disclosed that security agencies in the state have been fully briefed to ensure the continued protection of lives and property, using all legal means.

Read also

N10 billion fraud allegation: IGP orders probe of Udom’s appointee

“Citizens and residents are enjoined to continue to cooperate with the government in the fight to curtail the surge of the COVID19 Pandemic in our state,” he assured.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that scientists were inching closer to developing a vaccine for the coronavirus following a report which stated that a COVID-19 experimental vaccine developed by Moderna Inc was safe and provoked immune responses all patients tested in an initial safety trial.

It was reported that in the test conducted on Tuesday, July 14, patients who volunteered were given two doses of the vaccine.

Coronavirus: Are Nigerians really afraid of COVID-19? New survey reveals more | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel