- Zamfara state government has launched the largest zero-contact testing centre in Nigeria
- Governor Bello Mohammed Matawalle said the initiative is guaranteed to improve the testing capacity for the virus
- The governor said the development was in line with his administration's strategy to rid Zamfara state of the disease
A report by Nigerian Tribune indicates that Zamfara state governor, Bello Mohammed Matawalle in an effort to increase the testing capacity has launched the largest zero-contact testing centre in Nigeria.
The governor explained that the provision of the state of the art facilities was in line with his administration’s plan to rid the state of the deadly virus and protect health workers who are at the frontline of the fight against COVID-19.
Matawalle in a statement issued and signed by Yusuf Idris Gusau, the director-general media said the initiative provides an opportunity for regular tests and to isolate people who get infected.
He described the intervention as part of the bigger strategy of the government in response to the pandemic.
The governor while noting that Zamfara state with the COVID-19 sample collection booths will be cutting costs by achieving more with less, added that it will equally ensure timely delivery because the booth can be deployed in border towns and remote areas.
He explained that sample collection booths can be converted into telemedicine booths after the end of coronavirus.
According to Matawalle, Zamfara remains one of the states with the best approach to containing the pandemic having built an ultramodern isolation centre, procured more PPEs among other measures taken.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that resident doctors at the Federal Medical Center, Lokoja, have raised an anxiety alarm over the Covid-19 free state of Kogi, saying efforts to carry out tests on patients have been frustrated by state government thereby exposing them to risk.
Kogi is the only state yet to officially record any case of coronavirus in the country after Cross Rivers.
Amid growing concern, the doctors at the FMC said lack of adequate testing has increased the risk among health workers as Yahaya Bello-led government has been frustrating the efforts to ascertain the presence of the virus in the northcentral state.
Both the health minister, Osagie Ehanire and the director-general of the NCDC, on Tuesday, May 19, warned Nigerians not to listen to US president’s claims on hydroxychloroquine.
Enahire said though the presidential task force on COVID-19 is carrying out a study on the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine, the medicine had not been approved for the treatment of the virus.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: We have upgraded to serve you better.
Coronavirus: Does the Madagascar cure really work? | Legit TV