Armed forces ready to implement presidential directive on COVID-19 lockdown - DHQ

Armed forces ready to implement presidential directive on COVID-19 lockdown - DHQ

- The Defence Headquarters has said the Nigerian military is ready to implement the presidential order on the restriction of movement

- The coordinator of Defence Media Operations disclosed this at the DHQ in Abuja on Monday, March 30

- This comes a day after President Buhari stopped all movements in Lagos, Ogun states and the FCT

In line with the restriction of movement to curb the spread of coronavirus, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Monday, March 30, revealed that the Nigerian Armed Forces are ready to implement the presidential directive.

Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, the coordinator, Defence Media Operations, during a news conference in Abuja, stated that the military was ready to implement all restrictions on movement in line with President Muhammadu Buhari's directive.

Enenche further explained that the military would act in support of the civil authorities. He also said that penalty for those who would flaunt the restriction would be handled by the police, adding that military personnel had been adequately trained on how to perform their duties.

Nigerian Army embarks on mass recruitment of personnel

He said: “The Armed Forces of Nigeria is to implement all restriction on movement, in line with the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Armed forces ready to implement presidential directive on COVID-19 lockdown - DHQ

Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, the coordinator, Defence Media Operations
Source: Original

“For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the presidential directive given by the President, Commander-In-Chief, during his address to the nation on the COVID 19 pandemic, on 29 March 2020.”

The media coordinator highlighted the military's two-way plan, including medical support and security aspect to support the federal government towards tackling the pandemic.

Enenche speaking on the military medical support said that a committee headed by Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, the chief of defence training and operations, had been put in place to interface with all relevant Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

The coordinator further explained that a good number of military medical personnel in liaison with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) had been earmarked to be trained in the management of COVID-19 cases.

PPPRA gives new update on reduction on price of petroleum

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Legit.ng previously reported that President Buhari stopped all movements in the FCT, Lagos, and Ogun states in a bid to contain the coronavirus pandemic.

The president gave the directive in a presidential broadcast on Sunday evening, March 29, adding that the directive will be for an initial period of 14 days. Legit.ng notes that the president said that the lockdown will take effect from 11pm on Monday, March 30.

In a related development, the Nigerian military said it has designated 17 of its medical facilities as isolation centres across the country as Nigeria continues its fight against the global pandemic called coronavirus.

This was disclosed by the coordinator Defence Media Operations at a press briefing to outline the military's plans to aid civil authorities in the fight against the pandemic.

FG shuts down three Nigerian international airports to curb spread of coronavirus

The military authorities also say there are plans to recall retired medical personnel to complement those in active service.

Similarly, the military said its operations across the country will go on despite the outbreak of the dread COVID19 pandemic. Major General Enenche at a media briefing in Abuja on Monday, March 23, said the Nigerian military can not suspend its operations in the country because “operations are not conducted in enclosures but in the open.”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel