- Gunmen have once again attacked communities in Niger state, kidnapping scores of people
- The attack was carried out by suspected bandits numbering over 50, who killed a policeman and a six-year-old girl
- The incident was confirmed by Wasiu Abiodun, the police public relations officer of the Niger state police command
There was mayhem in Niger state as suspected bandits launched a renewed attack in some parts of Shiroro and Minta local government areas.
According to Leadership, armed men with more than 50 motorcycles shooting at random to scare residents attacked Galkogo and Zumba villages and killed one policeman and shot three other officers in a joint patrol team.
During the attack, a six-year-old girl was also killed while an unspecified number of the villagers were allegedly abducted by the gunmen.
In another report by Vanguard, gunmen numbering over 50 rode into the villages and killed about twenty people and left scores injured. According to the account of eyewitnesses, the attack lasted for about two hours.
Dozen of armed bandits killed, houses and logistics destroyed as NAF strikes banditry bases in Kaduna
The police public relations officer of the state police command, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Wasiu Abiodun, confirming the attacks said details of the incident were yet to be ascertained.
However, Abiodun revealed that special squads have since been deployed in the area by the state commissioner of police, Adamu Usman, to help tackle the challenges.
He said: “Details of the attacks are still very sketchy. I called the area commander in the affected local governments, although he confirmed the attacks, he said that they were still gathering information.
"So, we have not received any information about the casualties. At the moment, the commissioner of police, CP Adamu Usman has deployed all special squads in the area, including anti-kidnapping squad, anti-terrorists squad, among others. They are on the trail of the assailants.”
Meanwhile, Senator Mohammed Sani Musa representing Niger East senatorial district has commiserated with the people of Galkogo and Zumba communities over the unfortunate incident.
He condemned the attack, describing it as “unfortunate, barbaric and sad” at a time when the entire world is battling to overcome the coronavirus pandemic.
Legit.ng previously reported that eleven persons were killed and four women kidnapped as gunmen attacked five communities in Shiroro local government area of Niger state.
Kudodo, Galapai, Dnakpala Makera and Dnalgwa communities were attacked in the early hours of Saturday, January 25. The bandits were said to have moved from house to house to carry out their activities.
The attack came barely one week after eight communities were sacked by bandits in the same Shiroro local government where a village head and 16 others were killed.
In other news, the governor of Niger state, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, has reportedly declared a shut down in the state, declaring restriction of movement from 8am to 8pm, as Nigeria's confirmed coronavirus cases rise.
The restriction of movement which the governor announced in a state broadcast on Monday, March 23, will commence on Wednesday, March 25. Governor Bello said the move became necessary due to the new cases emerging from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), noting theta Niger state is very close to the FCT.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Who do you think can replace President Buhari in 2023? Legit TV