- Robert Lewandowski is on the verge of breaking Messi-Ronaldo monopoly in Europe
- The Polish star is the leading contender for the Golden Boot award with impressive 33-goal haul
- Lazio star, Ciro Immobile, is behind the Bayern Minich star with 28 goals in 28 games
Bayern Munich forward, Robert Lewandowski, is the leading contender for the Golden Boot award with the Polish star scoring 33 goals in just 28 appearances for the Bavarians.
The sensational striker has been in stellar form since the beginning of the season, and it was only Lazio star Ciro Immobile who is next to him on the race.
Lewandowski, who netted a brace in Bayern's 7-2 bashing of Tottenham, has seen his goal-scoring run overtake ex-Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes in the all-time Bundesliga goalscoring chart last year.
He has a better minute per goal ratio ahead of Juventus's Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi, and interestingly he is just a few steps to beating Gerd Muller in the Bavarian's all-time top-scoring list.
He is five goals ahead of Immobile who has 28 goals in 28 games, and 8 goals ahead of RB Leipzig's Timo Werner.
On the list of leading contenders for the Golden Boot award, Paris Saint-Germain's sensation Kylian Mbappe sits 4th with an impressive figure of 22 goals in 26 games.
Here is the list of the other players in top 10 as cited on Sportbible:
5. Cristiano Ronaldo - Juventus - 22 goals in 27 games
6. Sergio Aguero - Manchester City - 21 goals in 25 games
7. Raul Jimenez - Wolverhampton Wanderers - 20 goals in 38 games
8. Raheem Sterling - Manchester City - 20 goals in 35 games
9. Romelu Lukaku - Inter Milan - 20 goals in 29 games
10. Lionel Messi - Barcelona - 19 goals in 24 games
Bayern Munich currently lead the Bundesliga table with 42 points-- 1 above second position occupier RB Leipzig.
Lewandowski is leading the goalscoring chart with impressive 22 goals and three assists and he may extend the lead in Bayern's next game against their league challenger RB Leipzig.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Lionel Messi has beaten off stiff competition from great names in football including Xavi, Ronaldinho and his fierce rival Cristiano Ronaldo to be named the best player of the 21 century.
Messi came out top of the pile in the Independent's ranking which was based on point assessment and the position of top one hundred players across Europe's top five leagues.
Amokachi twins: Why we dumped Besiktas for Kwara United | Legit TV