- House of Reps members have disagreed on whether or not to evacuate Nigeria in China
- Some people have been reported dead over the outbreak of coronavirus in China
- The motion for the evacuation of Nigerians from the country by Benjamin Okezie was rejected by his colleague
There was a mild drama on Tuesday, February 4, as the members of the House of Representatives rejected a motion to evacuate Nigerians allegedly stranded in China following the outbreak of the Coronavirus.
Channels TV reports that the lawmakers who voted massively against the motion raised by the spokesperson of the house, Benjamin Okezie, said China has better facilities to handle the situation than Nigeria.
Legit.ng gathered that despite efforts by the speaker of the House, Femi Gbajabiamila, to calm the lawmakers and allow Okezie to move his motion, the lawmakers denied him the opportunity.
It was learned that the drama ensued when two other sponsors of the bill who were meant to support the motion, declined to second the motion to be moved.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Chinese ambassador to Nigeria, Zhou Pingjian, said that the embassy has suspended the issuance of visas to Nigerians.
It was reported that he said the action was part of efforts being carried out to contain the coronavirus outbreak in the Asian country.
It was learned that more than three hundred people have died over the outbreak of the deadly disease in China, as the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared it a global problem.
Also, the Chinese embassy in Nigeria disclosed that contrary to reports, Nigerians residing in Wuhan, the Chinese city, where coronavirus broke out are 60 in number and not 16 as earlier claimed by Lai Mohammed, minister of information.
Zhou Pingjian, Chinese ambassador to Nigeria, made the disclosure at a press conference in Abuja on Monday, February 3.
Pingjian said the Nigerians in Wuhan were adhering to the advisory issued by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
The ambassador said the Chinese government is taking steps to keep both Chinese citizens and foreign nationals, including Nigerians safe. He also said there might be 40,000 or 50,000 Chinese nationals in Nigeria and that most of them are in Lagos.
The Chinese envoy said Chinese nationals to follow the travel advisory issued by the World Health Organisation.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Abaribe asks President Buhari to resign, Nigerians react - on Legit TV