Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

- United States President Donald Trump said his country was ready to embrace peace with all who seek it

- The leader of the most powerful nation on earth called for renewed diplomacy and an end to hostilities with Iran

- Trump, however, said the US will impose more economic sanctions on the Middle East country until it changes its “behaviour”

- Tensions between the two countries began when the US assassinated Iranian top commander Qassem Soleimani on Friday, January 3

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, has backed down from more military conflict with Iran.

The leader of the most powerful nation on earth instead called for renewed diplomacy and an end to hostilities with the Middle East country after noting that no American or Iraqi lives were lost in the recent attack on Iraqi military bases by Iran.

In a press conference at the White House on Wednesday, January 8, the 45th US president said his country was ready to embrace peace with “all who seek it”.

Donald Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

United States President Donald Trump has backed away from more military conflict with Iran.
Source: Getty Images

“Our great American forces are prepared for anything. Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world,” he said.

Trump said the peace and stability will only be achieved if Iran stops terror, hatred and mayhem.

The former television personality, however, said the US will impose more economic sanctions on Iran until it changes its “behaviour”.

“As we continue to evaluate options in response to Iranian aggression, the United States will immediately impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime. These powerful sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behaviour,” he said.

The escalation of tensions between the two countries started when the US assassinated Iranian top commander Qassem Soleimani on Friday, January 3, in what Trump said was a decision taken to “stop war”.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

“Last week, we took decisive action to stop a ruthless terrorist from threatening American lives. At my direction, the United States military eliminated the world’s top terrorist, Qassem Soleimani. As the head of the Quds Force, he was personally responsible for some of the absolutely worst atrocities,” he added.

Donald Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

Iranian top commander Qassem Soleimani was killed in a US drone strike on Friday, January 3. Photo: CNN.
Source: Getty Images

The launch of more than 12 missiles on Iraqi military bases on Tuesday, January 7, hosting US forces by Iran was part of the “revenge” promised by Iran in retaliation towards the killing of its general.

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that after Iran fired ballistic missiles at two Iraqi military facilities that housed troops of the US, Trump had made a series of official remarks about the incident.

In his official address on the matter, Trump said that no soldier died in the attack, although the Iranian authorities have claimed that at least 20 US officials were among the casualties.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Explained: 6 Reasons Why Donald Trump Might Be Impeached | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel