Boko Haram, ISWAP attacked northeast 27 times in 14 days - Military

Boko Haram, ISWAP attacked northeast 27 times in 14 days - Military

- The Nigerian military has revealed details of how Boko Haram and ISWAP attacked northeast

- The Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Rear Admiral Ibok Ekwe-Ibas, said the insurgents attacked northeast 27 times in 14 days

- Ekwe-Ibas, however, noted that many attempted attacks were foiled even as many of the insurgent's leading commanders were neutralised

The Nigerian military on Monday, December 29, said that troops repelled 27 attacks from Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) in the northeast within two weeks.

The Nation reports that the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Rear Admiral Ibok Ekwe-Ibas, who briefed reporters after a security council meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, said the feat was achieved by the military in collaboration with regional partners.

Legit.ng gathered that the naval chief, who was speaking on the activities of terrorist groups within and outside the borders, said the military had made a lot of progress.

How we seized smuggled 85 bags of rice in our ongoing raid - Nigerian Army reveals

He noted that many attempted attacks had been foiled even as many of their leading commanders had been neutralised.

According to him, the president directed security chiefs to ensure a peaceful and stable socio-economic environment across the country.

He said the meeting appraised the nation’s security situations in 2019 with emphasis on ongoing internal and regional operations.

Boko Haram, ISWAP attacked northeast 27 times in 14 days - Military

A cross-section of Nigerian military officers
Source: UGC

Rear Admiral Ekwe-Ibas said the president specifically directed that the council and the members of armed forces ensure a peaceful society in 2020.

The Naval boss said: “To that effect, we are more than determined to continue from where we stopped in 2019 and to ensure that we sustain our various operations to ensure a secured Nigeria for all of us.

“On the activities of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), I will also like you to look at it from a broader African perspective. We have in recent past have attacks in Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and other countries in West Africa. While it is painful to lose people and from within, I think the military is doing all within its power to ensure that we overcome the menace and the threats posed by ISWAP.

Why I was urged to immediately dethrone Emir Sanusi - Ganduje

He said the Army has been doing its best to end the reign of terrorist groups operating in the northern part of the country, especially the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), noting that recent onslaught against them proved that troops have an upper hand.

He said: “You will also recall that just two weeks back we have had over 27 attacks from Boko Haram and ISWAP in the northeast alone. Our gallant troops out there were able to repel these attacks and even took out some of their commanders.

“So, it is a thing of concern but the armed forces of Nigeria are doing all in their powers to ensure that together with other regional partners, the menace of ISWAP is contained.”

He informed that the Nigerian Armed Forces would begin the gradual withdrawal of troops from some of their security operations across the country from the first quarter of next year.

22 former Boko Haram fighters sit for SSCE - NCS

The CNS explained that the withdrawal will follow a proper assessment of the success rates of operations.

Explaining the reason for the decision to end the operations in some parts of the country soon, the naval chief said the council observed that the forces had done their best to stabilise the security situation in the affected areas.

He noted that it was agreed that the natural step for security agencies to take is to restore civil security arms to the satisfactorily cleared areas under military operations.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that insurgents on Sunday, December 29, unleashed an attack on Mandaragirau, a village in the Biu local government area of Borno.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV

Jubilation as 2,341 road safety personnel are promoted, corps marshal states reason

Source: Legit

Online view pixel