HDM Global has been releasing a series of mid-range devices with amazing specs. The Nokia 6.1 Plus smartphone does not come as an upgrade to the Nokia 6.1, but as a different device altogether. It is packed with a powerful Snapdragon 636 chipset that is paired with an Octa-core processor. It runs on the Android One OS, which allows for software and security updates.
The device was released in two versions, Nokia 6.1 Plus (Global) and Nokia X6 (China). The two differ in a few features like accessories and location of the headphone jack and mic. The Nokia 6.1 Plus price in Nigeria is about 100,000 Naira depending on where you purchase it.
Before you decide to buy this device, have a look at some of its notable pros and cons;
- It has smaller dimensions and is thus easy to hold and use with one hand
- Comes with a notch design
- Has a premium feel thanks to its metallic build and front/back glass
- The fingerprint scanner is fast responding
- The battery capacity is lower compared to most phones
- May experience lagging during PUBG gaming
Nokia 6.1 Plus specs
- Release date: August 2018
- Network technology: GSM / HSPA / LTE
- Dimensions: 147.2 x 71 x 8 mm (5.80 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 151g (5.33 oz)
- Hybrid: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand by)
- Display type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Color depth: 16M
- Display size: 5.8 inches (81.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Screen resolution: 1080 x 2280 pixels, 19:9 (432 PPI density)
- Operating system: Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 (14 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.6 GHz Kryo 260 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 509
- Internal memory: 32GB 4GB RAM/ 64GB 4GB RAM/ 64GB 6GB RAM
- Card slot: MicroSD, up to 400 GB (shared slot)
- Dual camera: 16 MP (main), f/2.0, 5 MP (depth sensor), f/2.4
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Sound: Loudspeaker and 3.5 mm jack, active noise cancellation mic
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Available, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Rear-mounted fingerprint, accelerometer, proximity, gyro, compass
- Charging: 3060 mAh non-removable Li-Ion battery, fast charging 18W
- Colors: Black, Blue, White
- Models: TA-1099, TA-1103, TA-1083
Take a look at Nokia 6.1 Plus all details on its hardware features;
The device has a metallic build, both the front and back made of glass. Most Nokia phones, if not all, have a premium finish and feel. Nokia 6.1 Plus, a mid-range device, comes with the same superb finish. It is easy to hold due to its smooth sides and only weighs 151g. The front has a cut-out notch that holds the 16 MP front camera and the earpiece. The dual camera and fingerprint scanner are placed vertically on the glass back.
The power and volume buttons are placed on the upper right, while the left houses a hybrid SIM tray for your SIM and SD card. The mic, headphone socket, Type-C USB port, and main speaker are placed at the bottom. The other version has the headphone jack and mic at the top edge. Nokia 6.1 Plus colors are available in Black, Blue, and White.
The device has a 5.8-inch display with a notch at the top and a small bezel at the bottom that houses the Nokia logo. The bezels are narrow, leaving you with an 81.5 % screen-to-body ratio. The Nokia 6.1 plus display type is IPS LCD and it has bright and vibrant outdoor colors.
It comes with a resolution of 1080 x 2280 pixels with a density of 432 PPI. With an aspect ratio of 19:9, you can be sure you will watch your videos and movies with ease. The screen is protected with a Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
Processor, performance, and storage
A Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 chipset powers the device. It is a powerful chipset that is paired up with an Octa-core processor. It runs smoothly at most times, except when you are using resource-heavy applications. The device is quite responsive and easy to type with. Gaming is pretty much average, especially with games that have smooth graphics.
How much is the storage? The device comes in three variants; 32GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM or 64GB 6GB RAM. For all the variants, the storage is enough and can also be expanded up to 400GB with a microSD card. The SD card shares the same slot with the SIM card.
The phone comes with a 3060 mAh non-removable Li-Ion battery. Even though the Nokia 6.1 Plus battery capacity is lower than most phones in the same price range, it can last you up to 7 hours of screen time. It is fast charging, 18W, and in less than 2 hours, you get a full charge.
Speaker and call quality
Nokia 6.1 Plus speakers have excellent sound quality and clarity. The noise cancellation mic (placed on top or bottom depending on the version) allows you to make calls even in noisy environments. Even though the device comes with a 3.5 mm headphone jack, the global version does not come with the earphones as part of the accessories. The volume sounds, both highs and lows, are comfortable and do not cause much discomfort.
Here is a look at the device’s software features;
Operating system and features
The Nokia 6.1 Plus Android version depends on the model you opt to buy. It comes packed with either Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android9.0 (Pie), or Android One. The one with Android One has the benefit of getting regular security updates and at least two years of Android OS upgrades.
Nokia 6.1 Plus camera review, video and image quality
The device features a dual 16 MP+5 MP primary camera and a 16 MP selfie camera. The primary camera has an f/2.0 aperture and achieves focus thanks to the PDAF feature. The depth sensor with an f/2.4 aperture pairs with the primary camera to take pictures with excellent detail and exposure. The primary camera features a dual-LED flash for low light, panorama, and HDR for photo enhancement.
The selfie camera with an f/2.0 aperture takes decent portrait shots, especially under natural light. Under artificial or low lighting conditions, the pictures can appear blurry if the focus is not manually established. When compared to the Nokia X5, the device takes better pictures.
The device’s main camera can shoot video footage at 2160p@30fps and 1080p@30 fps while the front camera shoots at the latter only. The video quality is excellent, with great sound clarity.
Nokia 6.1 Plus review
Those who have used the phone have had different opinions. Take a look at what some people had to say after Geekyranjit did a review on his YouTube channel;
- Tushar Zibbu: With Nokia 6.1 Plus, I'll just say one thing, welcome back NOKIA
- Anurag: This is the first time HMD Global is way aggressive in pricing...One of the best SD 636 device currently available with Android One program under ₹16K.
- Sherry: Nokia is getting back into the game slowly. Man, this phone looks amazing for the price.
- Yash Lockhande: Amazing phone I just got the delivery it feels very premium and the camera is just awesome....btw I got earphones in the box and there was not any back cover.
Nokia 6.1 Plus accessories
Once you unbox the device, you will find the following accessories
- Power adapter
- Type-C USB cable
- A pair of earphones (X6 – China version only)
- Transparent gel case (Global version only)
- User manual
- SIM ejection tool
Is the Nokia 6.1 Plus a good buy? The device has some impressive features. It is a mid-range device with a quality finish, great cameras, and enough storage. Fortunately, the device uses the Android One version that guarantees you software updates. There are many phones currently in the market at the moment with slightly better features like the Xiami Mi A2, Tecno Camon 11 Pro, and Oppo A7, all in the same price range.
Nokia 6.1 Plus offers excellent features at an affordable price. Even though it was released a while back, the device is affordable with admirable specs for daily use.