- Boko Haram's dastardly act has once again been experienced in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital
- Suspected members of the terrorist group attacked a funeral procession on Saturday, July 27 and killed tens of mourners
- According to President Muhammadu Buhari's senior special assistant on media and publicity, Garba Shehu, a manhunt has been begun for perpetrators of the dastardly acts
The attack on a funeral procession in Maiduguri, Borno state, has been condemned by President Muhammadu Buhari, who promised that those behind the dastardly act "will pay a big price for their actions".
The attack, which caused deaths of tens of mourners, was perpetrated by suspected members Boko Haram terrorist group.
READ ALSO: Nigerian newspaper review for July 29: 3 more hurdles set for would-be ministers
Leadership reports that President Buhari's position was made known in a statement by his senior special assistant on media and publicity, Garba Shehu.
Legit.ng notes that the president was quoted as saying: “The federal government is firmly and resolutely committed to taking all necessary measures to safeguard the nation’s security. This administration is determined to end the menace of terrorism."
According to Shehu, major exercise has begun to hunt down the perpetrators of the attack with air patrols by the nation’s Air Force and ground operations by the army.
Legit.ng previously reported that some members of the Boko Haram terrorists operating in the northeast on Saturday, July 27, launched an attack on mourners in a village in Nganzai local government area of Borno state, killing 65 people.
The attack by the terrorists came a week after some communities confronted Boko Haram insurgents in the area and killed 11 of them.
It was gathered that the residents of the community also seized several rifles from the terrorists during the attack.
The chairman of Nganzai LGA, Mohammed Bulama, while speaking during a condolence visit by Governor Babagana Zulum, said the terrorists killed over 60 mourners and left 11 others injured.
Bulama said: “Two weeks ago, Boko Haram insurgents attacked Badu village but the attack was repelled by the villagers and members of the vigilante group."
“The villagers resisted the attack, killed 11 insurgents and recovered 10 AK-47 rifles in the encounter."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Is President Buhari really unable to rescue Leah Sharibu from Boko Haram? - on Legit TV