According to research conducted by various recruiting agencies, the secretary profession is one of those associated with the highest number of excessive hours and the need to adapt to the work schedule of the management. Today we shall find out all the information about responsibilities and duties of a secretary and full job description!
Who is a secretary?
This term is derived from the Latin "secret," so-called proxies in ancient Rome. And then, and later (at the royal courts), these were exclusively men, who sometimes managed very cleverly to get to power.
The first secretaries can be considered clerks and chroniclers - they recorded royal decrees and orders, chronicled current events, were responsible for maintaining correspondence. Over time, the powers of the secretary have expanded significantly, and today they can perform a variety of functions. Thus, the need arose for specialists of narrow specialization, as a result of which the profession of assistant secretary, clerk, secretary-translator and office manager appeared.
The secretary is called the faithful assistant and the right hand of the chief and for a good reason. The duties of the secretary of the CEO include ensuring effective management and administrative activities. The secretary of the top manager is engaged in the preparation and execution of business papers and documents, helps the director in affairs, solves many organizational issues.
The position of assistant secretary can also be considered representative, as she is the face of the company. She welcomes guests, answers calls and letters. Such work requires high concentration, communication, and organization. For this reason, the profession of a secretary can offer great promise - in the future. A specialist can become an office manager, and then one of the directors or top managers.
The position of executive secretary is necessary for almost every company that has an office for clients and visitors. It can be both large enterprises and small business organizations.
How to become a secretary
This may be the holder of any higher education, which has passed the courses of secretaries or assistants or received training directly at the workplace. As a rule, employers do not impose special requirements on the applicant’s specialty but emphasize that the applicant has the necessary personal qualities and can perform his/her duties at the proper level.
Duties of a secretary
These are the general functions of a secretary:
- Carries out work on the organizational and technical support of administrative activities of the CEO.
- Accepts incoming correspondence for consideration by the CEO, transmits it in accordance with the adopted decision to structural units or a specific contractor for use in the work process or preparing answers.
- Accepts documents and personal statements for the signature of the CEO.
- Answers phone calls, records and transmits service information to the CEO, organize telephone conversations to the CEO.
- On the instructions of the CEO writes letters, requests, other documents.
- Performs work on the preparation of meetings held by the CEO (gathering the necessary materials, notifying participants of the time and place of the meeting, agenda, their registration), keeps and draws up timeline of conferences and meetings.
- Carries out the control over the execution by the employees of the enterprise of the issued orders and instructions, as well as the observance of the deadlines for the implementation of the guidelines and instructions of the CEO.
- Provides the workplace of the CEO with the necessary means of organizational technology, stationery, creates conditions conducive to the practical work of the CEO.
- Organizes the reception of visitors, contributes to the efficiency of consideration of requests and proposals of employees.
- Forms cases in accordance with the approved nomenclature ensures their safety and delivers them to the archive on time.
- Duties of a secretary in a company also include organization of business trips of the CEO: order of air and railway tickets, book hotels.
Basic secretary responsibility
The secretary is responsible:
- For failure or late at working place
- Negligent performance of their duties
- For non-compliance with existing instructions, orders, and instructions for the preservation of trade secrets and confidential information
- For violation of the rules of internal labor regulations, labor discipline, safety regulations, and fire safety
Duties of a secretary in an office can differ in certain cases. Though the secretary should be always benevolent, organized, emotionally stable. An important advantage in employment is a pleasant appearance. The ability to listen and hear and are very important qualities.
READ ALSO: New minimum wage in Nigeria 2019