Donald Duke confident delayed campaign won't stop his victory in 2019 election

Donald Duke confident delayed campaign won't stop his victory in 2019 election

- SDP candidate Donald Duke has expressed confidence that he would still win the presidential election even though court cases delayed the start of his campaign

- Duke told journalists on Saturday, January 26 that his campaign would take off next week

- The former governor hoped that after his court, aggrieved party members would bury the hatchet and work for his victory

- Duke said he would have accepted defeat if the appeal court ruling had not been in his favour

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in the oncoming 2019 election Donald Duke, has said his campaigns will go ahead in spite of the delays caused by court cases over his candidature.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the former Cross River state governor told newsmen in Lagos on Saturday, January 26 that his campaign officially commences next week following his being pronounced as the authentic candidate of the SDP by a Court of Appeal.

READ ALSO: Why FG hurriedly sacked CJN Onnoghen - Fresh investigation alleges

Duke said: “I may have lost time over the proceedings but it will not in any way stall my progress or affect my victory at the polls.

“We have concluded arrangements to kick-start a very smart campaign that will reach the electorate across the nation.

“My campaign will not be a conventional one but it will be very effective.

“Nigerians are yearning for an alternative platform and we intend to position ourselves as that alternative that the people crave for.”

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Duke urged all aggrieved members of the party to unite and work as one family to ensure victory for SDP and its candidates across the country. He also revealed that his party was working seriously on bringing Jerry Gana, who challenged his candidature in court, fully back to its fold.

Duke claimed that had the court ruling not been in his favour, he would have accepted defeat and worked with Gana as was earlier agreed by the party.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

“Gana is mature and noble and am sure we will get through this to achieve the Nigeria of our dream,” he said.

Recall that Legit.ng had reported earlier that a Court of Appeal on Thursday, January 24, declared former governor of Cross River state, Donald Duke, as the presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party, (SDP) in the forthcoming 2019 general election.

A three-man panel, led by Justice Abdul Aboki, set aside the December 14, 2018 judgement of the high court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) which had declared Jerry Gana the candidate of the party and unanimously declared Duke as the presidential candidate of the SDP.

The court has also ordered Jerry Gana to pay Duke the sum of N500,000.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better

Nigerians rip Buhari, Atiku apart over absence at presidential debate - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel