10 ways to control pollution in Nigeria
Can you name at least 10 ways to control pollution in Nigeria? Huge industrial producers and factories put their waste out and cause both air and water pollution. How does pollution affect people? What are the most effective ways to control pollution in Nigeria? Read to find the answers!
There are a lot of industrial enterprises in Nigeria. It is one of the key reasons why we can’t ignore the problem of protection of the environment. Furthermore, we have to control water and atmospheric pollution to avoid its harmful influence, keep the nature clean and provide safety for the wildlife. In this article, you will find out 10 ways to control pollution that will help to reduce environmental pollution.
Many people do not recognize the harm of water and air pollution in its full measure. Rather often, one can meet a person who says that this problem has no slightest relation to them because they live far from industrial districts and areas with a high level of pollution. However, this is wrong!
First, let’s find out what are the basic kinds of environmental pollution:
- air pollution;
- water pollution;
- noise pollution;
- soil pollution;
- light pollution;
- radioactive contamination.
READ ALSO: Causes and effects of air pollution in Nigeria
Top 10 ways to control pollution
- Alternative sources of energy. The control of air pollution requires significant attention. That’s why it is high time to emphasize on decreasing the dependence on fossil fuels for transportation and energy. Possible ways out - alternative sources of energy (wind energy, solar power, geothermal energy, hydroelectricity, ocean wave energy, and bioenergy) that do not release carbon dioxide and buying hybrid vehicles.
- Bike instead of car or bus. To reduce the existing air pollution, people can take a walk or a ride on a bike instead of catching a bus.
- Local producers support. How often do you buy food that was produced abroad or in the neighborhood? Did you ever think on how much fuel the vehicle used to carry these products burnt? What is the solution? Support local producers. Their vegetables, fruit, and meat are of the same quality but cost less.
- Usage of environmentally-friendly chemicals. What about water? One of the ways to control water pollution is the usage of environmentally-friendly chemicals. Furthermore, one has to pay his attention to a significant dosage of pesticides and herbicides used in the agriculture sector. These chemicals not only kill the pests and harmful microorganisms but also penetrate in the soil, water, and the products the farmers grow.
- Three R - reusing, reducing and recycling. Another way of pollution control is reusing, reducing and recycling plastic. Some people throw plastic garbage into rivers, do you know that plenty of fish dies because plastic. Furthermore, plastic does not break up. The only way to dispose of it is to reuse it.
- Reducing the landfills areas. Reusing and recycling have relation not only to plastic but to all the waste produced by people. By sorting garbage, you can help draw to the minimum the number of sources necessary for its recycling. Furthermore, you help to prevent soil pollution.
- Plant more trees. It is one of the best ways to reduce the harmful influence of air pollution. Trees are the lungs of the planet.
- Start composting the garbage that doesn’t need any additional efforts to be recycled (like vegetables, fruit). You can also do the same actions with leaves instead of burning them. A few months later, you will have an effective fertilizer of natural origin, which is rich in nutritive microelements for your trees and flowers.
- Take your paper or fabric bag for shopping. Are you one of those people who like shopping? Do you like coming back home with all those colorful packages and bags, which are usually thrown into the garbage a few minutes later? Then, you should know that all of them also require as many resources to be recycled as plastic. By taking your bag, you can help the planet breathe freely.
- Do laundry only when your basket with dirty clothes is full. Thus, you will reduce the amount of water needed and produce less water pollution.
Environmental pollution may come from the sources you could hardly ever expect it. Furthermore, most kinds of deceases people have to experience in Nigeria are the result of the activity of the country’s industry.
Here are the top 5 reasons to think about establishing strict control over environmental pollution:
- it depresses the immune system and causes autoimmune disorders;
- it increases the risk of cancer and heart decease;
- it is the fundamental cause of allergies and asthma;
- it is one of the primary reasons for global warming;
- it hinders fertility and reproductive functions.
Thus, as you see, environmental pollution is a powerful weapon that destroys setting we live in and can lead to population decline and even extinction of human race.
We have discussed the easiest ways to control air, soil, and water pollution. Remember that being green is not a one-day behavior – it is a way of life. If we want to fasten the process of pollution control, the most significant changes should be taken within administrative level: when people see specific actions, types of vehicles or services strictly prohibited, only then they will see the necessity to reduce, reuse & recycle and hear the voice of nature screaming for help!
READ ALSO: Current environmental issues in Nigeria and possible solutions