The National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared Dapo Abiodun the winner of the Ogun state governorship primary.
He was declared the winner after polling 102,305 votes, against his closest contender, Jimi Lawal, who polled 51,153.
News of his winning the governorship ticket was contained in a statement signed by Yekini Nabena, acting national publicity secretary of the APC.
If elected in the forthcoming 2019 general elections, Dapo Abiodun will take over the Ogun state governorship seat from Governor Ibikunle Amosun.
Here are 14 key facts about Dapo Abiodun, the official flag bearer of the ruling APC in the 2019 gubernatorial election in Ogun state.
1. Dapo is a native of Iperu-Remo in Ogun state and belongs to a royal family
2. Prince Abiodun was born by Dr Emmanuel and Mrs Victoria Abiodun from Iperu-Remo, in Ogun East senatorial district on May 29, 1960
3. He is the father of late Olugbenga Abiodun aka DJ Olu, a close friend of the Nigerian Music star Davido
4. He studied civil engineering at the then University of Ife (now, Obafemi Awolowo University), Ife, Osun state and subsequently, Accounting at Kennesaw State University, Atlanta Georgia, United States of America (USA)
5. He holds a Honours et Doctorate Degree in Finance from Ekiti State University and another in Business Administration from Adeleke University, Ede, Osun state.
6. He is the managing director/CEO of Heyden Petroleum Ltd [HPL], one of the largest indigenous players in the downstream, midstream, and upstream oil and gas industry in Nigeria
7. He is also reportedly the founder of First Power Limited, among others
8. Dapo Abiodun is a founding member of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun state
9. He contested the Ogun East senatorial seat on the platform of the PDP in 2015 general elections
10. Abiodun was elected a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the platform of the defunct United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP) at a younger age of 33 in 1993
11. He has served as a member of various presidential committees and organisations, including the Presidential Think-Tank in 2001, appointed Chairman, Oil and Gas Committee, Ogun state in 2009, chairman, Depot and Petroleum Product Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) in 2012 and also appointed chairman, Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) in 2018.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the ruling electoral committee of the National and state House of Assemblies primaries for Lagos state on the platform of the APC on Saturday, October 6, officially released the results of the elections.
The primaries, including a repeat of the senatorial primary election, were held on Friday, October 5.
The senatorial primaries initially held on Thursday, Ocyober 6, but were cancelled and rescheduled owing to logistic issues.
Why President Buhari May Not Defeat PDP In 2019- Agbor Residents Speak| Legit.ng TV