Are you a Nigerian? What do you really know about the history of Nigeria?
Nigeria is an interesting country, and it seems like we make history everyday with different activities that occur in the country.
You probably already know that Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups dominated by tribes such as Igbo, Hausa, Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba. Nigeria's Niger River is also the largest river in West Africa.
Now, what you may not know are the interesting facts about the Nigerian history. There are so many fascinating things about the country's history and Legit.ng has compiled a list of some of the fun and phenomenal facts that might interest you.
1) Did you know that Nigeria is home to the largest monument in Africa (Sungbo's Eredo). It is also the largest city of the medieval world.
Sungbo's Eredo is a system of defensive walls and ditches that was built in honour of the Ijebu noblewoman Oloye Bilikisu Sungbo (the woman that was also alleged to be Queen of Sheba). It is located in Ijebu Ode in Ogun State.
2) The Portugese were the first foreigners to explore Nigeria in 1472?
3) According to archaeological research, the earliest known civilization in Nigeria is the Nok civilization which was around from 500 to 2000BC.
4) The walls of Benin are the longest ancient works in the world.
5) Ile Ife was founded as early as 1000AD. Queen Luwo, the twenty-first Ooni (ruler) of Ile-Ife paved the streets with quartz pebbles and broken pottery
6) The oldest discovered boat in Africa, and 3rd oldest in the world is the 8500-year-old Dufuna canoe. It was discovered by a Fulani herdsman in Dufuna village, Fune local government area, Yobe in 1987.
7) The longest bridge in Africa was the Third Mainland bridge until the October 6 bridge was built in Cairo, in 1966.
8) Nigeria was formed when Freerick Lugard became the governor of the region.
9) Naira was introduced in 1959.
10) Did you know that at a time in Nigerian history, the North had the highest number of literates with over 25,000 Quarnic schools teaching over 250,000 students?
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News on Legit.ng News
11) The National Youth Service Corps began in 1973.
12) The Nigerian flag was designed in 1959, by Taiwo Akinkunmi in a competition.
13) Wole Soyinka was the first Nigerian to receive a Nobel Laureate.
14) Agbani Darego was the first African to win the Miss World Beauty Pageant.
15) Nigeria was the first African country to receive a Gold medal in the Olympics Football in 1996.
Top 5 facts you didn't know about the Hausa people - on Legit.ng TV