Do you know how to renew drivers license in Nigeria? It’s not tricky at all if you know several important things. Obtaining any documents can be quite tiresome and time-consuming but if you follow the instructions below, you will save a lot of time and nerves.
The cost of drivers license renewal in Nigeria
First of all, the good news. The renewal of your driving license will not cost you all the money you have. The renewal of a regular drivers’ license that’s valid for four years costs as before, exactly N6,350. This is the official price set by the Federal Road Safety Commission and in case you face another pricing, you need to report the violation of the law and defend your rights.
READ ALSO: FRSC dismisses 25 officials over corruption-related offences
In case you are applying for a license that’s valid for five years, you need to pay more but not that much. Your license will cost you N10,350 in this case. These are precise prices set by the official institution and any changes to them are illegal and represent over-billing of customers.
Below, you will find some tips on the application process and all the essential steps to the renewal of your expiring driver’s license. Follow all the guidelines and save plenty of time and efforts.
How to apply for drivers license renewal in Nigeria?
Drivers’ licenses are given for a limited period of time. A regular license is valid for three to five years. Since 2016, license validity has been increased to five years. When it expires, it requires a legal replacement.
The replacement process, namely, the application, is practically the same as if you would apply for the very first license in your life. However, before you make up your mind to apply, you may want to know answers to some FAQs.
- Is there an online application procedure? – Yes, there is. You can apply online from the comfort of your home and below you will see how to do it.
- Where can I apply online safely and know it’s not a fraud? – You can apply at the official website http://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org and feel safe from any frauds.
- Should I apply for a new license while the old one is still valid but there’s only a little time left? – Yes, you should apply when there are 30 calendar days before the expiration date of your license.
- Can I start the renewal after the license has expired? – No, you should start the process before it expires. There’s no official grace period after the license validity has expired. It means you should apply no earlier than a month before the license expires and no later than the expiration date.
Now, let’s see how to apply for the license correctly at the official website.
Steps to renewal of drivers license
There’s a number of steps you need to perform to renew the license you already have. Just follow the instructions below. They are detailed enough to prevent the smallest failure.
- Begin with visiting the official website that was mentioned above. When there, select “Driver’s License Renewal”.
- You will be redirected to another page. There you will need to provide your birth date and the number of your current license
- The database will detect your license and in case there are more than 30 days before the expiration date of your current license, you won’t be allowed to proceed.
- If you are allowed to carry on the process of renewal, you will need to choose whether you want the license that’s valid for three years or the five-year one.
- Now, you will need to complete the process and fill the rest of the application form out. If you have the same personal information as while applying for your current license, just leave it as it is. In case you need to alternate something, select “Edit”.
- Select the FRSC Capture Centre that’s located in your vicinity. This is the office where you are going to appear physically to complete the procedure.
- The next step involves rendering some information regarding your biometric condition. You just need to check the “No” box unless your body has undergone some prominent physical change since the previous application time.
- An important notice: in case the page is reloaded for any reason, check the biometric box out because it seems that the default setting is “Yes” and if you reload the page, your “No” selection will be replaced with “Yes” automatically. Make sure everything in the form matches the reality.
- All this done, you will see the form in its complete condition and three available options: printing, payment, and canceling.
- You should proceed to the payment page. After making the online payment, you will automatically return to the application form. The payment status will be changed and you will see the validity of the license, namely, the one you have chosen and paid for.
- Now, you can print the complete form out.
Completing the drivers license renewal in Nigeria
After you have applied online, you need to proceed to the next stage, which leads directly to the new license. The steps are as follows:
- Print out the application in two copies. Also, scan and print out two copies of the current license that you have. Of course, the original document must be with you, too
- Get two recent photos of you of the passport format
- Travel to the FRSC office you have chosen while applying. In case you still keep the CD/DVD you were given during the application for your very first driver’s license, take it with you, too
- Once there, provide everything mentioned in the first three steps to the officers
- They will lead you to the respective officials (in the same building)
You will be asked to pay N1,000. If you have the CD/DVD mentioned above, you won’t pay for anything. The word that you have it somewhere at home won’t work
- Then, there comes a short and quite simple test. It will most likely be oral but can also be written. Just don’t panic and remember the speed limit in your location
- You will be given a special checklist signed by the officials. Together with the application (and attached pictures of you) will eventually compose the temporary license that’s given while the new one is being processed
- In three months, you will receive the new driver’s license, which will be valid for either three or five years, whichever option you have chosen for yourself and paid for.
As you can see, there’s nothing complicated in the process of drivers license renewal 2018. Just be attentive to details and closely follow all the above-mentioned instructions. They are really able to save you a lot of time, prevent unnecessary traveling to the FRSC office with incomplete document packages or so.
Have the best of luck with your drivers license renewal and kindly share the information with your friends!
READ ALSO: How to make national driver license check in Nigeria