We spent N50m taking care of Benue flood victims - Governor Ortom
- The governor of Benue state, Samuel Ortom, has revealed that about N50 million was spent on caring for flood victims
- The floods increased the number of Internally Displaced Persons in the state as many tried to send relief materials
- Governor Ortom also said there has been positive responses from many agencies private and public
The recent flooding in Benue state has led to increase in the number of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the state.
According to the state governor, Samuel Ortom, the state government has spent not less than N50 million to take care of the IDPs.
He said this in reaction to a rumour about alleged diversion of relief materials and misappropriation of funds by some officials of his government meant for flood victims.
Speaking on the amount spent so far, Ortom said: “I think around 50 million naira currently. Like I said, there have been responses from the federal government, state government and other individuals and organisations. All that we needed was just some assistance.
READ ALSO: Buhari reveals permanent solution to Benue flood
“We are making a comprehensive analysis, at the end we will make a decision depending on the availability of funds.
“Since we cannot pay all the salaries, we agreed that we will combine two months and pay for one month, so people can have allowance to do other things. Discussions are still going on and I’m also discussing with other financial institutions to see if we can find a way around it.
“But I still believe that if this process that we have adopted is the desired one, we still have to go step by step so we cannot inflict pain on the workers. One thing I know is that with this inflation, whatever people get is not enough. The good thing is that we are discussing and as we are discussing, we will find a way out of it."
Meanwhile, some hoodlums on Wednesday, September 20, invaded an Internally Displaced Persons' camp in Benue state.
PAY ATTENTION: Watch more videos on Legit.ng TV
The hoodlums reportedly carted away 200 bags of rice and other relief material meant for the displaced persons.
The incident, Legit.ng gathered occurred at the Abagana-Agan camp on Makurdi-Lafia road.
Watch this video as Nigerians speak about the flooding in Lagos: