- Boko Haram has continued its campaign of terror in Borno state
- This is despite efforts by the Nigerian Military to completely wipe out the insurgents
- The terrorists have continually tried to invade the state capital, Maidugiri in recent weeks
At least 11 persons were killed in multiple bomb explosions on Tuesday night, July 11, in Maiduguri, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
A reliable security source, who pleaded anonymity, told NAN that the first and second explosions occurred at about 9.45 p.m at Mulaikalmari, some six kilometers away from Maiduguri.
The source said that eight persons, including the bombers were killed in the attack.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Three persons were also killed and five others wounded in the third and fourth explosions, which occurred about 20 minutes later at Polo-Sabon Gari area of Maiduguri, according to the source, who said he helped in the evacuation of the victims from the scenes of the explosion.
“All the attacks occurred in the outskirts of the metropolis. It is a foiled attempt by Boko Haram insurgents to infiltrate the town,” the source said.
The source added that security teams had been drafted to the affected areas to ascertain the situation.
He disclosed those wounded were referred to Special Hospital, Maiduguri for medical attention.
Efforts to get confirmation from the police proved abortive as the command’s public relations officer did not respond to phone calls and text messages.
However, the chairman of the State Emergency Management Agency, Alhaji Satomi Ahmed, who confirmed the attacks, said his officials have been mobilised to the scenes.
“Thanks to the hard work of our emergency response teams we were able to put together a prompt response,” he told NAN.
Premium Times reports that the police in Borno state have confirmed that 19 persons were killed and 23 others injured in the attack.
The Borno state police commissioner, Damian Chukwu, who addressed journalists at one of the scenes of the blasts, said most of the victims were operatives of the Civilian-JTF.
“Twelve Civilian-JTF operatives were killed in all the attack and the rest were civilian victims”, he said.
He said the seven civilian residents that died were killed when they gathered to mourn the death of the 12 Civilian-JTF operatives.
“The bombers attacked the crowd of mourners and killed seven of them, leaving many others injured,” he said.
The spokesman of the Civilian-JTF, Danbatta Bello, said the bombers specifically targeted his colleagues on duty.
“A teenage female bomber actually crept to the sandbag post of our boys at Molai and before they could realise what was happening, she detonated explosives on her body and killed three of our boys,” he said.
Meanwhile, a recent media report indicates that Boko Haram publicly executed eight villagers in the North-east.
According to the report, those murdered were opposed to the enforcement of the terrorists hard-line form of Islam.
The report described a video where eight people were said to be blindfolded and lying face down on the ground when they were shot at close range by four masked gunmen. A crowd was seen cheering in the images showed.
Watch the Legit.ng TV report of the 10 young Air Force officers recently winged below: