“Why Federal Govt Increased Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000,” Tinubu’s Minister Explains
- The President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led Federal Government has explained the reason upward review of Nigerian passport fees
- The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) on Wednesday, August 28, 2025, announced new passport fees of N100,000 and N200,000
- The Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, defended the passport price hike with reasons for the decision
CHECK OUT: How to Start Earning with Copywriting in Just 7 Days – Even if You’re a Complete Beginner
Legit.ng journalist Adekunle Dada has over 8 years of experience covering metro, government policy, and international issues
FCT, Abuja - The President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led Federal Government has defended the upward review of Nigerian passport fees to N100,000 and N200,000.
Legit.ng recalls that the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) announced new passport fees effective September 1, 2025, applicable only to applications within Nigeria.

Source: Facebook
The NIS said N100,000 for the 32-page, five-year validity passport and N200,000 for the 64-page, 10-year validity passport for those applying from Nigeria.
The Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, said the new hike is to sustain quality, curb corruption, and ensure the timely delivery of travel documents.
Tunji-Ojo stated this during the ministry’s mid-tenure performance retreat in Abuja on Thursday, August 29, 2025.
“Our target is very clear: within one week of enrolment, every Nigerian should have their passport in hand. Not just delivering quickly, but delivering quality passports that reflect our integrity as a nation.”
Speaking further, he said the new system will eliminate long delays and extortion that once forced citizens to wait up to seven months or pay as much as N200,000 to fast-track processing.
“The system that we inherited had a six-month backlog, which we were able to clear in two and a half weeks. Nigerians will apply for passports and wait endlessly, or be asked to pay hundreds of thousands of naira.
“My own daughter had that bad experience. Even when I was chairman of the House Committee on NDDC, my daughter wanted a passport, but it was a problem. I had to pay hundreds of thousands to be able to get a passport for my daughter, a 12-year-old girl. That era is over.”
Minister announces home delivery of passports
Legit.ng earlier reported that the federal government announced that beginning in June, Nigerians will start receiving their passports at home.
Minister Tunji-Ojo disclosed that the delivery service will commence in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano, and Abuja.
He added that the commencement of the service was delayed by the need to establish a data centre first.
Immigration issues fresh warning to Nigerians
Previously, Legit.ng reported NIS warned Nigerians against US visa misuse, citing concerns from the US government over overstaying and changing travel purposes without authorisation
Breaching visa terms may lead to deportation, permanent bans, or visa revocation, including for students who skip classes or change programmes without notice.
US cracks down on “birth tourism”, directing consular officers to deny visas if childbirth appears to be the main purpose of travel.
Source: Legit.ng