Former Emir Sanusi Wins Big in Court Over Banishment From Kano By Ganduje

Former Emir Sanusi Wins Big in Court Over Banishment From Kano By Ganduje

  • A court has made an order mandating the Kano state government to pay the sum of N10 million as damages to Muhammadu Sanusi II
  • The payment is to compensate the former Emir of Kano for his banishment from the state to Awe in Nasarawa state
  • According to the court's ruling, Sanusi's exile after his dethronement by the Kano state government was in violation of his fundamental human rights

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday, November 30, delivered a judgement nullifying the banishment of Muhammad Sanusi II from Kano state.

The court presided by Justice Anwuli Chikere said the banishment of Sanusi from Kano to Awe, Nasarawa state is unlawful and a violation of his fundamental human rights.

Former Emir of Kano
The court also awarded N10 million in favour of Sanusi. Photo: Muhammad Sanusi
Source: Facebook

The Nation reports that the court held that the manner in which Sanusi was forcefully removed from the palace after his dethronement and taken away by operatives of the State Security Services (SSS) is vicious.

Read also

I am pained, Senator Uba Sani mourns lawmaker murdered by bandits, offers aid to family

Justice Chikere also declared null, the Emirate Council Law 2019 under which the government of Kano state relied upon to remove and banish the former emir.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

According to the judge, as a Nigerian citizen who had committed no offence even at the time of his banishment, Sanusi was entitled to reside in any part of the country.

Vanguard, also reported that following the judgement, the judge also awarded N10 million damages to the Kano state government, the inspector general of police and the SSS.

The court also ordered the trio to tender a public apology to Sanusi in at least two different national dailies.

However, the court excluded the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, the fourth respondent, from the suit.

According to the court, the applicant failed to establish his case against the AGF.

Read also

Sokoto Killings: President Buhari makes important promise, vows to flush out bandits

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the former emir of Kano was dethroned by the Kano state government under the leadership of Governor Abdullahi Ganduje.

The decision was made at the state's council executive meeting on Monday, March 9, leading to the exiling of the former traditional ruler to Awe in Nasarawa state.

Alhaji Usman Alhaji, Kano's secretary to the state government, said that Sanusi's activities in the state violated part 3 section A-E of Kano state law.

In other news, the former emir of Kano had debunked claims that he had the intention to join politics in Nigeria

Sanusi said he only intends to continue to help electorates know the best candidates to vote for ahead of elections across the country.

The former emir of Kano also said that enlightening the people does not mean that he has plans to become a politician.

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel