An official list of presidential candidates who will be slugging it out in the February 14, 2015 presidential election was released recently by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
According to the list, 11 candidates will be contesting for the number one position in the country.
Among the male-dominated candidates, is a female. She is Prof. Comfort Oluremi Sonaiya.
Below are five things you should know about her:
1. She is a former lecturer at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State.
2. She will be contesting under the umbrella of KOWA party. KOWA was registered as a political party on July 16, 2009, by a group of Nigerian Civil Society activists, professionals and technocrats.
3. Her running mate is a man, Saidu Bobboi.
4. She was named an International Ambassador Scientist of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in 2008.
5. Sonaiya was the National Public Relations Officer of KOWA Party.
Though there are 10 candidates contesting for the post of presidency, there are two strong contenders, former head of state, Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Of all the candidates, only Jonathan and Buhari were candidates in the last election in 2011.
Other candidates include: Ambrose Albert (Hope Democratic Party); Ganiyu Galadima (Allied Congress Party of Nigeria); Rafiu Salau (Alliance for Democracy); Godson Okoye (United Democratic Party); Dr. Nani Ibrahim Ahmad (African Democratic Congress); Martin Onovo (National Conscience Party); Tunde Anifowoshe-Kelani (Action Alliance); and Chekwas Okorie (United Progressive Party).
The Labour Party, LP, and the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, have already adopted the PDP candidate, Goodluck Jonathan as their candidate as well.