For motorists, driving through most of the federal roads that crisscross the southeast geopolitical zone has become very agonizing.
Vanguard Newspaper reports that the Enugu-Onitsha, Onitsha Owerri, Aba-Owerri, Owerri-Umuahia, Enugu-Abakaliki, Oba-Nnewi-Okigwe, among many others are in deplorable condition.
For instance, the journey from Enugu to Onitsha which, in the good old days, used to take less than one hour now takes about six hours. Same for Enugu-Aba and Onitsha-Owerri.
Here is a list of some of the affected federal roads.
1. 82 Division- 9th mile section of the degraded Enugu-Onitsha expressway
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org!
2. Both lanes of the road from Abakpa junction
3. The Amansea portion of the Enugu –Onitsha expressway
4. The Owerri-Umuahia road and Owerri – Aba road - The Emekuku in Owerri North, Oboama Nguru in Aboh Mbaise and Achingali in Obowo areas of the road are the worst portions of the road.
5. The Owerri end of the Owerri – Aba road and the Ulakwo axis .
6. Osisioma to Port Harcourt axis of the dual carriage road
7. The highway between Aba and Obigbo in Rivers state, particularly at Ariaria Junction, Alaojii Mechanic Village and Asa axis.
8. The Port Harcourt Road traversing Aba.
9. The Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia federal highway linking southeast and Akwa Ibom state, particularly the Ikwuano axis.
10. The Umuahia-Ohafia-Arochukwu federal road has almost collapsed.
Calls for Igbo presidency in 2023 is distracting - Umahi
Meanwhile, Umahi says calls for the Igbo presidency in 2023 were too early and distracting.
He made this statement while speaking with newsmen after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, September 6, at the Presidential Villa.
Umahi advised Southeast governors and APC governors to focus on projects that would bring about development in their state, region and the country at large.
“Well, for me, I’m very much interested in completing my projects. And I will look into politics when my tenure is remaining one year, which is from May 29, 2022. And I think it is the same thing with other governors of South East and by extension, governors of APC."