- Simon Lalong, the governor of Plateau, has relieved no fewer than 532 workers in the state of their duties
- The affected workers were discovered to have falsified their records after an investigation using the BVN system
- Lalong made this known in Kuru, near Jos on Tuesday, June 1, saying that his administration would not tolerate any kind of fraud
Jos, Plateau - Governor Simon Bako Lalong of Plateau state has disengaged no fewer than 532 civil servants whose records are questionable from the service.
The Nation reports that Lalong also pledged to rid the civil service of members of staff who have questionable records or are found to have tampered with their records.
Legit.ng gathered that he added that over 532 members of staff whose records are questionable have so far been removed from the state’s payroll after an investigation using the BVN system.
The governor disclosed this during a policy retreat for permanent secretaries held at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, (NIPSS) Kuru, near Jos, adding that the exercise would continue as those found culpable would face disciplinary actions.
The state Head of Service Plateau, Sunday Chong Hyat said the policy retreat became necessary because of the appointment of 14 new permanent secretaries.
More workers with questionable records will be sacked
New Telegraph also reports that Lalong also vowed to continue to rid the civil service of workers with questionable records or were found to have tampered with their records.
“I am aware of the huge manpower gaps that exist in the Plateau State civil service because of years of unemployment. With the setting up of the Nde John Gobak Committee on the verification and audit of staff strength, we will address these issues once the committee completes its assignment and submits its report.
“Already, about 532 names have been removed from the government payroll after an investigation using the BVN system, which revealed inconsistencies in their records. Some had falsified their ages or tampered with their records. Others could not appear to answer queries on such records.”
Governor El-Rufai sacks 4000 workers in 23 LGAs
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the decision of the administration of Governor El-Rufai to disengage 4000 workers across the 23 local government areas of Kaduna state sparked outrage.
It was reported that over 4000 staff across 23 local governments received their disengagement letters on Tuesday, April 6.
Reacting to the development, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), described the action as arbitrary and cruel, even as he called on the Kaduna state government to reverse the mass sack.
In a related report, Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Wednesday, May 26, announced the disengagement of not less than 19 political appointees.
He said the 19 political appointees are the first set of public servants to be relieved of their duties while the rightsizing exercise continues.
The governor expressed gratitude over the services of the departing officials in the state and wished them well in their future endeavours, Daily Nigerian also reported.