- The decision of the Kaduna state government to sack 4000 local government workers has sparked outrage
- The Nigeria Labour Congress is the leading the pack of Nigerians asking the government to reverse the sack immediately
- On social media, some Nigerians have been tongue-lashing the governor of the state, Nasir El-rufai, for the action
The decision of the administration of Governor Nasir El-Rufai to disengage 4000 workers across the 23 local government areas of Kaduna state has sparked outrage.
Daily Trust reports that on Tuesday, April 6, over 4000 staff across 23 local governments received their disengagement letters.
Reacting to the development, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, described the action as arbitrary and cruel, even as he called on the Kaduna state government to reverse the mass sack.
Wabba, furthermore, called the attention of the state government to the clause in the redundancy letter issued to affected workers.
The clause says all the entitlements of the affected workers would be paid in due course but Wabba stated that it is in conflict with the provisions of the Labour Act on redundancy.
Also, the Kaduna state chapter of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) condemned the mass sack/retirement of workers.
Spokesman of the party, Abraham Alberah Catoh, said the action by the governor is unlawful, callous and smacks of the insensitivity to the plight of the good people of the state.
He called for a reversal of the mass sack of all those affected and payment of their entitlements.
One of the affected staff, Aliyu Aminu of the works department, who was retired from service on April 1, called on the government to pay them their benefits, especially since the holy month of Ramadan has come.
On social media, some Nigerians have been tongue-lashing the governor for the action.
Awwal M wrote on Twitter:
“Too bad! Politicians have taken their people for granted.”
Usman Shfiu wrote:
“Which type of economic policy is that? And the government say they are fighting insecurity.”
Shalom Hanson wrote:
“Does El-Rufai have the right to sack local government workers? The way and manner politicians play God is beyond imagination.”
Ndume Iheochere wrote:
“4000 more jobless Nigerians ... Many more hungry and out of school children.”
Mahdi Garba wrote:
“The Nigerian security problem is artificial. How can El-Rufai sack 82 workers in one local government? Tragic!”
Meanwhile, a report by Bloomberg indicates that Nigeria, home to the world’s largest number of extremely poor people, looks set to break another record: the highest jobless rate.
Already, a third of Nigeria's labour force is without employment or working only a few hours a week.
Legit.ng had earlier reported that unemployment in Nigeria recently surged to the second-highest on a global list of countries monitored by Bloomberg.
The jobless rate in Nigeria rose to 33.3% in the three months through December 2020, according to a report published by the National Bureau of Statistics.