- Nigeria Labour Congress has decided to do something about the mass sack of workers in Kaduna
- The union took to the streets of the northern state to protest, leaving travellers stranded
- NLC plan is to commence a five-day strike from Monday, May 17, to shut down socio-economic activities in the state
Members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) took to the streets of Kaduna state to protest the mass sack of workers.
Daily Trust reports that the strike which started on Monday, May 17, has left some travellers stranded and frustrated at the Rigasa Train Station.
It was gathered that travellers who bought tickets online were spotted stranded at the station. They were told that the tickets would remain valid as long as they use them on the day the strike is called off.
The union plans to shut down all socio-economic activities in the state to press home the recall of public servants sacked by Governor El-Rufai last month.
In another report by Sun News, the industrial action commenced on Sunday, May 16, with the disruption of electricity supply to consumers in the state.
The protest also includes shutting down petrol stations, airport, banks, schools, health institutions, and other business enterprises.
In spite of this, the Kaduna state governor dared the NLC, saying his government was waiting for them. He added that his government would not bow to blackmail.
NLC members have vowed not to back down until the Kaduna government reverses its “anti-people policies”.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the decision of Governor El-Rufai to disengage 4000 workers in Kaduna state sparked outrage.
Reacting to the development, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, president of the NLC, described the action as arbitrary and cruel, even as he called on the Kaduna state government to reverse the mass sack.
In a related development, the Gombe state government suspended no fewer than 668 workers from the payroll following the commencement of the implementation of biometrics.
The state commissioner for finance and economic development, Muhammad Magaji, said this at a briefing on Friday, April 30, at the commencement of the implementation of biometrics in the state.