May Day: Tears As Gombe Government Sacks 668 Workers, Gives Reasons

May Day: Tears As Gombe Government Sacks 668 Workers, Gives Reasons

- No fewer than 668 workers have been suspended in Gombe state

- This was disclosed by the state commissioner for finance and economic development, Muhammad Magaji

- Magaji said the decision was taken following the verification exercise embarked upon by the government

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Gombe state government has suspended no fewer than 668 workers from the payroll following the commencement of the implementation of biometrics.

Daily Nigerian reports that the state commissioner for finance and economic development, Muhammad Magaji, said this at a briefing on Friday, April 30, at the commencement of the implementation of biometrics in the state.

May Day: Tears as Gombe government sacks 668 workers, Gives Reasons
The Gombe state government has suspended 668 workers. Credit: @GovernorInuwa
Source: Facebook

Legit.ng gathered that Magaji said the affected workers did not show up for verification after the commencement of the enrolment, hence their suspension from the payroll.

The commissioner said 431 workers from the 84 ministries, departments and agencies, MDAs of the state were affected.

Read also

Huge tragedy as bandits kill 323 people, abduct 949 others

He said the biometrics had been piloted in two local governments – Gombe and Akko – and also in the Local Education Authority (LEA) of both local governments.

Magaji stated that in Gombe LG, a total of 103 staff didn’t show up for the biometrics comprising 44 LG staff and 59 LEA staff.

Magaji said N31.18 million, N3.19 million and N3.94 million were saved from the suspension from the state’s MDAs, Gombe LG and Akko LG respectively, adding that the total workforce of both the state and local government was 67,000.

He said all workers in the 84 MDAs of the state had been enrolled in the biometrics machines and their biometrics information captured as well as all LG and LEA workers in Gombe and Akko LGs.

The commissioner explained that the exercise would continue until the remaining nine local government areas were captured and the state effectively covered.

Read also

Anxiety as FG set to sack incompetent civil servants, gives reasons

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) announced a five-day industrial action following the mass sack of workers in Kaduna state.

It was reported that Comrade Ayuba Wabba, NLC president disclosed this on Thursday, April 22, at the end of its meeting in Abuja.

NLC declared the strike in both public and private organisations in Kaduna state to protest the mass sack of workers.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel