Benue killings: Buhari fires back at Ortom, expresses disappointment over governor’s attack on him

Benue killings: Buhari fires back at Ortom, expresses disappointment over governor’s attack on him

- President Buhari has replied Governor Ortom of Benue state over his recent comments

- Ortom had said that Buhari's government is overwhelmed by the insecurity situation in the country

- Buhari, however, described the statement as insulting and attack on his person

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed disappointment over the attack on him and his administration by Benue Governor, Samuel Ortom, on recent killings in the state.

The Nation reports that the president made this known in a statement issued on Thursday, April 29, by his senior special assistant on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu in Abuja.

Benue killings: Buhari fires back at Ortom, expresses disappointment over governor’s attack on him
President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed disappointment over Governor Ortom’s attack on him. Credit: @GovSamuelOrtom
Source: Facebook

Legit.ng gathered Buhari stated that the rising levels of incidents, especially the killings and violence in various parts of the country call for further collaboration with security agencies to curb its recurrence.

Read also

Killings: Tinubu breaks silence, sends strong message to Nigerians after meeting Buhari

He also states his disappointment and sadness to hear Ortom make a litany of accusations against his person and his government following the recent unfortunate incidents in the state.

Buhari said:

“President Buhari is deeply pained by the terrible acts of violence happening not only in Benue State but also in other parts of the country and expects that the law enforcement agencies will go to every possible extent to catch the perpetrators of these heinous acts and bring them to justice."

Shehu said that President Buhari took an oath to defend the life and property of every citizen, a duty he takes seriously and is committed to ensuring.

Premium Times also reports that Shehu said the president expressed his condolences to the families of the victims who lost their loved ones in the recent spate of killings in Benue state.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

Read also

Stop sharing photos of slain soldiers on social media, Army warns Nigerians

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Ortom on Tuesday, April 27, said the federal government was insensitive to the rising cases of killings in the country.

It was reported that he said with the killings occurring daily and with heavy casualties, it had become very obvious the Buhari-led government had been overwhelmed by the unfortunate situation.

Governor Ortom made the comment while inaugurating Army Day Secondary School, Effurun in Delta state on the invitation of Governor Ifeanyi Okowa.

In a related development, gunmen suspected to be armed herdsmen reportedly killed a man and his wife at Udei branch in Mbabai ward, Guma local government area of Benue state.

The man identified as Igba Faga and his wife were on the evening of Tuesday, April 27, macheted to death while returning from their farm on a motorbike.

The special adviser on security to the Benue state governor, Col. Paul Hemba (rtd), told newsmen in Makurdi on Wednesday, April 28, that suspected armed herders had laid ambush on the couple and hacked them to death on their way home from the farm.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel