- Nigerians have been warned to stop sharing photos of slain soldiers
- The warning was given by the Army who also threatened to sue those involved in it
- According to the Nigerian Army, those who engage in this act are not considerate of the family of the departed ones
In a straight message to Nigerians, the Nigerian Army has sent a warning to those in the habit of sharing gory photos of slain soldiers to stop the act.
In fact, the Army threatened to sue those caught in the act, insisting that the dead soldiers committed no crime while defending and protecting the country from its adversaries.
This was disclosed in a statement by the director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima on Facebook.
“This act is not only unpatriotic but very insensitive and utterly reprehensible”.
He said the Army will henceforth take legal actions to protect troops who die in action from being ridiculed on social media or any platform.
According to Yerima, the soldiers are defending the country with their lives and it is unfair to ridicule them if they pay the supreme price.
Going further, the Army accused Nigerians of gleefully sharing the gory photos of officers and soldiers who are either killed-in-action or wounded-in-action on social media.
It said in most cases, relatives of the deceased get to know about their death after seeing their bodies on social media. The Army said this will cause pain and sorrow for them to just wake up and see gory pictures of their loved ones splashed on social media.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom, on Tuesday, April 27, said the federal government was insensitive to rising cases of killings in the country and urged it to seek external support to quell the challenge.
He said that with the killings occurring daily and with heavy casualties, it had become very obvious that the Buhari-led government had been overwhelmed by the unfortunate situation.
Governor Ortom made the comment while inaugurating Army Day Secondary School, Effurun in Delta state on the invitation of Governor Ifeanyi Okowa.
In another report, an activist, Ariyo-Dare Atoye raised an alarm, saying every sector in Nigeria has been infiltrated by extremists.
Atoye, who is also the co-convener of the civil society group, Centre for Liberty, made the comment in an exclusive chat with Legit.ng on Tuesday, April 27, in Abuja.
According to him, there is a need to sanitise every sector of the country, including the military, to flush out extremists posing as nationalists.