Bandits Lay Siege on Zamfara, Kill Over 100 Citizens Within 72 Hours

Bandits Lay Siege on Zamfara, Kill Over 100 Citizens Within 72 Hours

- Zamfara seems to have been turned into a killing field by armed bandits operating in the northwest state

- Between Wednesday, April 21 to Friday, April 23, the bandits have killed over 100 people in various communities in the state

- Many more residents are also missing after the carnage by the terrorists across the state

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Armed bandits have laid siege in Zamfara state as over 100 citizens have been killed by the rampaging gunmen within the week.

The killings became too frequent, prompting a reaction from President Muhammadu Buhari.

The president said in a statement:

“Such wanton disregard for life will be brought to an end sooner than later. This insane and persistent violence against innocent people must stop.”
Bandits Lay Siege on Zamfara, Kill Over 100 Citizens Within 72 Hours
President Buhari warned the bandits to stop the killings but experts say the warning is not enough. Photo credit: @MBuhari
Source: Twitter

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Read also

Zamfara: Don’t push your luck too far - President Buhari warns bandits

Experts say the president must go beyond warning the bandits and start matching words with actions by going after them.

Bulama Bukarti, a columnist with Daily Trust newspaper, wrote on Twitter:

“Eighty-three defenseless Nigerians struggling to put food on the table were murdered just like that and all we get from the president is a warning. Staggering.”

Nigeria's security agencies seem overwhelmed and overstretched as attacks on communities last hours without intervention from the authorities.

In one of the recent attacks, the bandits were said to have operated for 7 hours without any help from security operatives even though they were contacted.

Premium Times reports that at least 90 corpses have so far been buried in Zamfara while many persons remain unaccounted for after the latest round of mayhem.

Vanguard reports that the coordinated attacks began on Wednesday, April 21 in Gusau, Maradun, and Bakura local government areas of the troubled state.

Read also

Zamfara killings worse than Yemen, Afganistan massacres - Shehu Sani weeps

Following the attacks, Governor Bello Matawalle on Thursday, April 22, ordered the immediate closure of four markets as a security measure.

In a statement released by the office of the governor, markets like Dansadau Market in Maru local government, Dauran Market in Zurmi LGA were affected by the governor's orders.

Shehu Sani, a former senator representing Kaduna Central, recently raised concerns over the frequent killings in Zamfara.

Comparing the statistics to what is obtainable outside Nigeria, the former lawmaker said it is worse than the carnages in Yemen and Afghanistan put together.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel