Pantami: FBI Speaks on Alleged US Govt Terrorism Watch List

Pantami: FBI Speaks on Alleged US Govt Terrorism Watch List

- More details are coming out on the alleged link of Ibrahim Isa Pantami to Boko Haram and other terrorist organisations

- The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has officially reacted to the issue

- The FBI's reaction comes on the same day the authors of the report retracted it and apologised to the minister

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The controversy surrounding the alleged link between the minister of communications and digital economy, Ibrahim Isa Pantami to Boko Haram and other terrorist organisations around the world may have opened a new vista.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has reacted to the alleged placement of the minister on a terror watch list.

The FBI, in its response to the request sent to it by Leadership newspaper, said:

“Consistent with our standard posture, we can neither confirm nor deny whether an individual is on the watch list.”

Read also

I was never on US terrorism watch list - Buhari's minister declares

Already, the original authors of the report have retracted it and apologised to the minister.

Pantami: FBI speaks on alleged US govt terrorism watch list
Pantami says his lawyers are already heading to court over the issue. Photo credit: @DrIsaPantami
Source: Twitter

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In a short statement seen by Legit.ng on Monday, April 13, and published on its Twitter page, the Independent Newspapers Nigeria apologised to Pantami.

Part of the statement read:

“Our attention has been drawn to the story with the above title, published in the Sunday Independent newspaper of April 11, 2021.
“We have since realized that the information contained in the story has not been verified to be true.
“The minister mentioned in the story, Alhaji Isa Ali Ibrahim, also known as Sheikh Pantami, is not known to be on American Terror Watch List, nor is he linked to terror organisations.
“We regret and sincerely apologise for the embarrassment our story has caused the honourable minister whom we hold in high regard.”

Read also

Alleged US terrorism watch list: Ex-presidential aspirant reveals truth about Buhari’s minister

Pantami had earlier reacted to the report, saying the publishers defamed his character and must meet his lawyers in court.

The minister explained that his teachings which have been on for more than a decade were against evil persons and criminals in Nigeria, adding that his life at a time was threatened following his debates on the subject of anti-terrorism.

Also, concerning the ongoing NIN-SIM verification exercise, he noted that the ministry is doing its utmost to tackle insecurity through this medium and that criminals are already feeling the heat.

On his part, presidential media aide, Bashir Ahmad, dismissed the claim by the newspaper report, adding that the media house intentionally avoided verifying the facts and went ahead to mislead a lot of Nigerian readers.

Ahmad maintained that the minister has never been on the US government watchlist.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel