Mohammed Maigari Dangyadi, the minister of police affairs, announced this on Tuesday, April 6, while briefing state house correspondents.
Legit.ng has compiled below some facts about the new acting IGP.
1. Usman Alkali was born on March 1, 1963.
2. He hails from Geidam in Yobe state and has had meritorious years in the force.
3. He holds a Masters in Public Administration (MPA) from the University of Maiduguri, Borno State 1997 and a BA (ED) Political Science from Bayero University, Kano State as well as Professional Courses/Workshop Institution.
4. The senior police officer is a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
5. Alkali was a member of Course 22/2014 of the National Defence College (NDC).
6. Before his appointment, Alkali Baba served as the head of the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department (FCIID).
7. He has also served in various capacities such as DIG Force CID and was also the Force Secretary at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
8. Alkali was in FCT as the Deputy Commissioner, Investigation, and was also in the staff college as a directing staff.
9. He was in Ilorin as an Area Commander. He was the second-in-command in Ebonyi, He was also an Assistant Commissioner, CID in Kaduna and before then was DPO (Divisional Police Officer) in various places like Yola, Gombe, Kaduna, and Jos.
Meanwhile, some revelation has emerged as to why the tenure extension of Mohammed Adamu, the former Inspector-General of Police (IGP) was cut short.
The disclosure was made by the minister of police affairs, Muhammad Dingyadi, who told journalists on Tuesday, April 6, that the power to make such a decision resides only with the president, The Cable reports.
The minister added that Adamu's successor, Usman Alkali Baba was chosen after from high-ranking and proficient officers who are fit for the job in all ramifications.