CAN goes Spiritual, Declares 3-Day Fast, Prayers over Attack on Ortom’s Convoy

CAN goes Spiritual, Declares 3-Day Fast, Prayers over Attack on Ortom’s Convoy

- Benue CAN has called on the federal government to find a lasting solution to the issue of insecurity in the country

- Rev. Akpen Leva, the state CAN chairman, made the plea on Monday, March 22, in Makurdi, the state capital

- Leva said that the Christian body would embark on fast and prayers for the country

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Following a recent attack on Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue by some bandits, the state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said it would begin three days of fasting and prayers on Tuesday, March 23, to seek divine intervention over the insecurity in the state.

Daily Trust reports that the state CAN chairman, Rev. Akpen Leva, said at a news conference in Makurdi on Monday, March 22, that the situation would have worsened if not for the relentless prayers of Christians across the state.

Read also

APC national convention’s June date not feasible, may be postponed

Legit.ng gathered that Leva who condemned the armed attack on Governor Ortom on Saturday, March 20, worried that the country is far from being secured.

CAN goes spiritual, declares 3-Day fast, prayers over attack on Ortom’s convoy
Governor Samuel Ortom has begged Nigerians not to politicise the bandit attacks on his convoy. Credit: @GovSamuelOrtom
Source: Twitter

Nigerian Tribune also reports that the CAN chairman added that if a governor of a state would be attacked for no genuine reason, it then means that Nigeria is fast becoming a lawless state.

He said:

“I want to call on the Benue Christians to intensify prayers. This is the time to prayer ceaselessly and seek divine intervention. God has never disappointed us in any of our prayers.
“We have resolved as a body to declare three days of fasting and prayer. The fasting and prayer session will commence on Tuesday. The grand finale of the programme will hold on Thursday, March 25, 2021."

The report also noted that the youth arm of the three socio-cultural organisations of Benue people protested over the attack on the governor’s convoy as they marched through major roads in the state.

Read also

Alleged Assassination Attempt: Governor Ortom Sends Another Important Message to Nigerians

One of the youth leaders, Timothy Hembaor, said the attackers have demonstrated a futile attempt to take over the Benue land, urging the federal government to do everything in order to bring the perpetrators of the act to justice.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Ortom made a passionate appeal to Nigerians not to politicise the recent attack on him, saying the incident should not be reduced to partisan politics.

It was reported that Ortom said he was not the first governor to be attacked in recent times as he noted that Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state who is an APC governor has suffered a similar fate.

.......

Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B. A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel