- Nigerian government has extended eased of coronavirus lockdown by a month
- Boss Mustapha, the chairman of PTF, disclosed this on Monday, January 25
- Mustapha said that the government is reviewing the guidelines on the implementation of phase three of the eased lockdown
The federal government has extended phase three of eased COVID-19 lockdown by one month.
The Nation reports that the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced this on Monday, January 25.
Legit.ng gathered that the chairman of PTF, Boss Mustapha, made this known at the weekly briefing of the task force in Abuja.
“The PTF is improving on the international travel portal to minimise the challenges passengers keep encountering. Similarly, it is reviewing the guidelines on the implementation of phase three of the eased lockdown which is due to expire today."
Mustapha further stated:
“In view of the fact that our numbers are not abating, all extant measures prescribed in these guidelines are (subject to some modifications) extended by a period of one month with effect from Tuesday, January 26, 2020.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that despite the order made on Thursday, January 14, for the resumption of all private and public schools across the country on January 18, the federal government said it was against the decision.
It was reported that while speaking at the briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, on Monday, January 18, the minister of education, Adamu Adamu, said the federal government did not agree with the states on the resumption date.
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV
The minister, who noted that the PTF would monitor the COVID-19 situation on a daily basis, said schools' resumption could be reviewed again.
In a related report, the federal government issued a clear message on the possibility of imposing another lockdown following disregard towards the safety protocols issued on COVID-19.
Speaking during a media briefing on Tuesday, January 19, the PTF chairman, Bosss Mustapha lamented low compliance to the safety protocols by Nigerians.
Mustapha said since schools resumed on Monday, January 18, there has been a clear disregard for the federal government's directives on the deadly virus, This Day reports.
He stressed that to avoid the second lockdown, "citizens must keep their hands on deck" while striking a balance between "lives and livelihood."