- There might be massive changes in Nigeria's security architecture in 2021
- The hint was given by President Muhammadu Buhari in his new year message to Nigerians
- There have been loud calls for the president to sack his top security chiefs after escalating violence in some parts of the country
President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to reorganise Nigeria's security architecture in 2021.
The president made the promise in his 2021 new year message to Nigerians on Friday, January 1.
“We'll be re-energizing and reorganizing the security apparatus and personnel of the armed forces and the police with a view to enhancing their capacity to engage, push back and dismantle the operations of both internal and external extremist and criminal groups waging war against our communities in some parts of the country.”
The president, however, noted that his government needs to be more proactive and preemptive in ensuring that such incidents do not become a norm.
He said his government is fully aware of its responsibility to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians, adding that they will not relent in learning and adapting to changing threats to national security and civic wellbeing.
Some Nigerians have been commenting on the president's promise via social media.
Olakunle Don wrote on Twitter:
“I think Buhari's new year message is very commendable. He touched the heart of Nigerians. I think his speech is better.”
Mutana Faruk wrote:
“President Muhammadu Buhari's new year's broadcast is scintillating. The unity of Nigeria is sacrosanct and sine qua non to the growth and development of Nigeria. All hands must be on deck to lift Nigeria from the economic recession to the economic magnification. God bless Nigeria!”
Coastal Prince wrote:
“I don't know for others, but for me, President Buhari's broadcast didn't make sense, same boring and uninspiring time-wasting.”
The president's promise comes a day after four women were kidnapped by the terrorist group, Boko Haram in Adamawa state.
Three young girls and a married woman were working on their guinea corn farms last week on the outskirts of Dar village when the insurgents forcefully abducted them.
The incident sparked renewed calls for security operatives to take the battle to the insurgents and not wait to repel attacks.
In a related development, the national chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Audu Ogbeh, has revealed what happens after captives are rescued from the clutch of terrorists following payment of ransoms.
Ogbeh, who was a minister of agriculture under President Buhari's first tenure said that with information available to the ACF, terrorists divert the ransom money into the purchase of arms.
Buhari inducts combat helicopters to fight insurgency, says he won’t fail Nigerians | Legit TV