- Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos is now free from COVID-19
- Sanwo-Olu tested positive for COVID-19 on December 12 and the announcement was made by the state commissioner for health, Akin Abayomi
- Gboyega Akosile, the CPS to the governor, said his boss has been tested negative for the virus
Barely after two weeks he contracted the novel coronavirus, the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has tested negative for COVID-19.
Legit.ng reports that the news was broken on Thursday, December 24, by the chief press secretary to the governor, Gboyega Akosile, via a tweet.
He said Governor Sanwo-Olu addressed the press on the development at the state House, Marina, Lagos, adding that his boss is now out of isolation.
Sanwo-Olu who said COVI-19 is real thanked the medical team for their care during the period and also praised Lagosians for their prayers and concern throughout the isolation period.
“Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu tests negative for COVID-19. Now out of isolation."
The state commissioner for health, Akin Abayomi, had announced on December 12, that the Sanwo-Olu tested positive for COVID-19.
Sanwo-Olu had on Friday, December 18, banned all forms of parties, carnivals and clubbing in the state till further notice.
The governor had, in a statement, imposed a curfew from midnight to 4 am daily.
He had said:
“Concerts, carnivals and street parties are banned in Lagos State until further notice. Night Clubs have not been allowed to open yet. All night clubs in Lagos must immediately shut down, until further notice.
“The midnight to 4am curfew imposed by the Federal Government remains in place. The protocol of ‘no mask no entry’ must be enforced by all public places: offices, businesses, markets, shops, and so on."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Lagos state government gave an update on Governor Sanwo-Olu's rate of recovery from COVID-19.
It was reported that the state government on Monday, December 21, informed Lagosians that the governor is not just doing very well medically at the moment but is also stable.
The announcement was made by Sanwo-Olu's chief press secretary, Gboyega Akosile, who also sent his principal's appreciation to the people of the state for their support and prayers.
In a related report, Sanwo-Olu said the state cannot afford yet another total lockdown over the rising cases of COVID19.
The governor in a statement on Saturday, December 19, said a fresh lockdown would hurt the state’s healing economy.
He urged residents to abide by the new guidelines prescribed to help the state contain the spread of the disease.
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV